High Efficiency Furnace vent question

My high efficiency furnace was installed last fall. It vents via PVC pipes and a cone vent through the wall. Now that the heating season is coming to a close, should the intake and exhaust pipes be protected from insects, etc for the summer.? Even a dryer vent has a flapper to keep everything out, but the furnace pipes don't have any such protection. I'd hate to have hornets set up shop and build a nest inside the pvc pipes or even the furnace.

Reply to
Tim

That's a great question! I have the same and never thought it might be covered. I'll be watching for responses to this one...

Reply to
edee em

Haven't had a problem with insects and the like--but did have a problem with some unknown creature that actually chewed away the plastic ribs covering the opening of the hot air vent. Found a small pile of the rib shavings just on the inside of the vent. What I did was to take some chicken wire and cover the whole outside unit. Holes big enough to keep out squirrels, birds and the like but not small enough to be restrictive. For insects, I would just spray the pipes with some kind of repellent. MLD

Reply to
MLD

Mine came with a fitting that had a wire mesh set into the hub end, where the exhaust exits.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Yes you should. I have that setup and they will try to move in if you don't. I used some screen and that seems to do the job.

Reply to
borgunit

Your installer should have installed the insect/rodent protection altho, if its a concentric vent, only the exhaust will be protected.

Reply to
webmaster