Hidden Header

We are renovating our house and want to move the header in a 6' opening on the first floor. I have heard about hiding the header in the ceiling. I got an estimate for doing the job for $2000 - not sure if good estimate or if this is a safe procedure. Thanks

Reply to
Steve

When you say "move the header", I'm assuming you intend to have a smooth ceiling rather than a section of wall.

Is the header part of a bearing wall? If it is * not * a bearing wall, the header can be removed without major work. It it is part of a bearing wall, there is a lot of collateral structural work to be considered.

TB

Reply to
tbasc

TB, Yes, the header is part of a bearing wall - 6' opening. Understand the collateral support while the work is being done. Do you feel $2000 is a reasonable price. Have a deadline and having difficult time getting other contractors to respond. thanks

Reply to
Steve

The price depends on where you live and the competitive environment. If you have only gotten one response and the contractor is qualified (licensed, etc.) then I would say $2000 is cheap, considering you want to move the header and don't have any alternatives.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

"reasonable price" isn't a meaningful question, if you can't get anyone else to do it at all. Your choice appears to be limited to (A) Pay the $2000 dollars, or (B) don't do it. How important is this 12" of overhead space to you?

Reply to
Goedjn

Well now you asked the big question - it is one of esthetics (wife's designer hat) versus my budget hat. Guess I lose. thanks Goedjn

Reply to
Steve