Help me pleeez.. My food is rotting away!!

Hi All, I have a Maytag 21 cu. ft fridge model PTB21BBGRW. It has a top freezer (sperate door) without ice maker (3 years old only!) Picture is similar to this:

I noticed recently that the bottom unit (with the main door) has no cooling. (Two jugs of milk went sour after a couple of days!!). I tried to incrase the thermostat setting but the problem is still there. (there're two thermostat dials, one for the freezer and one for the bottom unit) The freezer is working very good though, plenty of cooling and the food there gets frozen quick..

I found a wiring diagram and a list of parts (with exploded drawings) here:

I noticed from the wiring diagram that the bottom unit and the freezer share the same compressor, and since the freezer is running flawlessly, I assume that the compressor is good, and the cooling gas is charged and not leaking..

I am good with electronics and electricity in general but I don't even know where to start in this case. I am guessing a control unit or so may have gone bad..

Any help is appreciated.. Thanks a lot..

Ahmed Calgary, Alberta - Canada

Reply to
Ahmed

HI, Fan, check the fan which circulates the cold air to the bottom.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi Tony, Thanks for your reply. If you mean the fan in the freezer, it is running fine. Is there another fan that directs cold air to the bottom section (the refrigerator section)? If so, where it is and where is the switch that controls it..?? Thanks again,.

Reply to
Ahmed

Hi Tony, Thanks for your reply. If you mean the fan in the freezer, it is running fine. Is there another fan that directs cold air to the bottom section (the refrigerator section)? If so, where it is and where is the switch that controls it..?? Thanks again,.

Reply to
Ahmed

There are vents, ductwork and a fan that drives cool, freezer air into the lower compartment. Since you say the fan is working, but apparently little air is getting to the refridgerator, that's what needs scrutiny. In many of these, the thermostat for the lower area actually operates a duct flap allowing more / less air into lower area. In addition, there is a sensor that measures compartment air temp, compares it to the "set" temp on the thermostat and, if required, opens / closes the flap.

Reply to
Craven Morehead

Right. It is possible that the vents are blocked with ice. If it is not defrosting properly, that can happen. Getting rid of the ice is step one, but you have to find the reason it build up.

You can also find information at:

Edwin Pawlowski