HELP, I need a Briggs & Stratton "EXPERT"!

Small B&S engines use an easy spin cam grind which depends on proper valve clearance to work, also, excessive valve clearance adversely affects engine breathing hence, performance.

All aluminum block, flat head B&S engines that I am aware of, call for .005 - .007 for intake and .007 - .009 on smaller engines .009 - .011 for larger engines for exhaust clearance.

The old cast iron block B & S engines did call for clearances .007 - .009 for intake and .017 - .019 for exhaust.

You are right that one cause of dying after a few minutes of running is not having enough valve clearance.

Walt Conner

course years ago. I've found >they work nicely.

Reply to
Walt Conner

He said the enigine is like new. How could he have lost valve clearence unless the seats or valve faces got beat out?

Reply to
Randd01

OP said motor was like new but compression was 65lb . Well 65 lb makes it probably a 1 hp junk, worthless unless he put it back together wrong.

Reply to
m Ransley

I have seen brand new B&S engines come from the factory with not enough valve clearance. I made one heck of a buy on a riding mower once because the dealer couldn't figure out why the engine kept dying after several minutes of running. He took it back from an unhappy customer, don't know why he didn't replace the engine under warrantee but I didn't care.

Walt Conner

Reply to
Walt Conner

Interesting thanks