Heating Themostat Questions

Hello:

Have a very old Honeywell thermostat for our forced gas hot water heating system which I need to probably replace. Heating only.

Questions.

a. Do they still come typically with that Heat-Anticipator function ?

If so, how do I adjust it correctly ?

I seem to remember that you have to measure the current draw with a milli-ohmmeter, which shouldn't present any problem for me if required.

If someone could please tell me the exact steps to go thru to set it correctly, would be most appreciative.

b. Are the thermostats on the market now that do-Not use the mercury switch type "just" as good, or,... ?

Any brands or types to avoid, etc. Honeywell units still considered the best ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

My preference is thermostats made by White Rogers and they tend to be way less expensive than Honeywell. If you buy a thermostat with an anticipator, you want to set it for the current draw of the gas valve, or primary control, that its attached to, and it will come with instructions for doing that

Reply to
RBM

Over the years I've replaced numerous lower cost thermostats with Honeywells. IMO the Honeywell medium to high line units are the best in the business. Checking the archives in this and HVAC newsgroups will confirm this and give you some insight as to the short service life of the bargain brands. Probably most of them are better than they used to be when engineers were struggling with electronic controls but I suspect that other manufacturers are still playing catch up. YMMV

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Hmmm, Nice to hear that as a Honeywell retiree. Of course I use Honeywell 'stats and air cleaners. Looking at the setting on old one being replaced set the new one at the same setting or valve body has label showing current rating. It's not a rocket science.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Anticipator is set to the current draw, in amperes. It's AC current, so you'll need a meter that does AC amps. Typically, you turn the stat down to the coldest setting. connect your ammeter from red to white, which makes the furnace go into heat mode. Read the AC amps, and then set the little slider in the stat to about the same number as the ampere reading.

The folks on this board seem to like Honeywell.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon