Heating and Cooling an Addition - Any Suggestions

In the Spring I am planning on adding a 600 Sq Ft Master Bedroom Suite to my New Jersey Ranch House. Nothing too fancy, BedRoom, Sitting Area & Full Bath. It will sit over a crawlspace and be conventionally framed etc. The rest of my house (2200 Sq Ft), has Oil Forced Hot Air Heat and Central Air.

What kinds of options would people recommend I consider for Heating and Cooling the addition?

Reply to
kevtrane

When I did a 700 sq ft addition I was lucky that my existing unit was over-sized and I only needed to modify and extend the ducting. Get someone to do an analysis of your situation, current and future.

If existing cant handle then you can put in a separate system or upgrade your current system to handle the load.

If separate you can continue with oil forced hot air with AC or put in a gas system if gas is available available. You could also do radiant heat in the floors with separate AC system depending on budget and preferences. Radiant can be gas or oil fired boiler.

Reply to
No

I would go with a ductless mini-split system like this:

(though you are not limited to Sanyo)

or go with a through-the-wall unit (like they have in hotel rooms) like this:

(again, not limited to Amana. GE makes a very nice unit available at Home Depot)

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I would think that NJ is a bit far north for a heat pump-- unless of course the OP finds it personally rewarding to send a lot of money to the electric company during the winter months as well as enjoying having a chilly MBR ;-)

Reply to
Patrick Cleburne