Heater smell coming from AC

A couple of weeks ago, my husband and I noticed that the ac started blowing hot air and it smelled like the heater was being turned on. You know that smell when you first trun your heater on? So well called and AC repair man and he came out and said that the coil was clogged and that caused the rise in temp. So he unclogged the coils. Well that stopped the hot air from blowing out, but about every 10 minutes whe the AC kicks on it blows air that smells like the heater is on. The air coming out of the vents is cold, but it smells really bad. What could be wrong?

Thanks for your help

Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

A dead mouse? Your missing cat? Why were your coils clogged, no air filter?

Reply to
mark Ransley

No we change the air filter once a month. That is another funny thing, because the AC Filter is never dirty. I mean not a drop of dust on the filter. We have two cats and live in Florida, so it seems to me that the filter should be dirty, but it never is.

Jennifer

Reply to
Jennifer

You need someone who will inspect you system better and find your problem

Reply to
mark Ransley

I had that moldy smell in the spring and early summer , no dss or lamp shit , I had a humid basement causing a bit of mold even though my ducts were cleaned twice . by pros . 750.00 for 1200 sq ..........1900 sq inc total sq ft .... my findings were to install a dehumidifier for the basement , add return and supply to basement for circulation.... the real difference was keeping basement humidity down, AC guys said returns and vents are all you need , but in real life basements can be moisture pits. no amount of vents and returns could flow enough air ,.,., ...... stop leaks , and try a dehumidifier this summer ,, drain with hose to drain, or sump pit.....spray black areas or moisture laden areas with beach , they will lighten in color if mold is the problem ,. you say your filter is clean when you chnage it. ...maybe the previous owner never did ,,,,,, my friend a steel mill mechanic had this overlooked ,,,, his equipment was cloged shut....the smell ?? of what?? thats your decision........ Usually mold...... But i have lost a few bats and rodents [ dissapear over the years ] and can say my problem was mold or mildew...If your ducts run in a crawlspace your odds increase for this... get a new service man , and check and adjust everything , from top to bottom in and out...

Reply to
mark Ransley

Sounds like a classic case of DSS..or Dirty Sock Syndrome.. Any competent, HVAC man can remove that from the system, as long as its not in any way effected the duct work, and then, it can be repaired...

IF this turns out to be the case, you will seriously want to consider looking into the UV-C band of lamps.

Reply to
CBHvac