Harwood Floors/ Particle Board ARGH!

HELP! I was about to install 800 sqft of 3 1/4 maples hardwood upstairs when a friend mentioned, hey you have particle board underlayment - you can't install hardwoods on PB. It seems EXTREMELY difficult to remove. Should I try to remove it? If so, is there a trick to removing it? Can I just nail and screw down plywood overtop of it? Any advice you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated! thanks!

Reply to
JT

I some what doubt that you have particle board as flooring. Maybe OSB/stranded/chip board. These can be used for structural. Particle board is used for cabinets and shelves. Better check before you jump

Reply to
SQLit

Particle board was definitely used in lots of '70's houses. My parents have one of those, and since they are installing hardwoods in yet another room, they are dealing with the same issue. I'd simply set my circular saw to a reasonable depth, cut the particle board into managable sections, and use a pry bar to remove it.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

Same here for one bedroom. I tore it all up and replaced it with 5/8" span-rated underlayment. Lots of work, but can be done in half a day or less if you're organized.

-- Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION ? FILM SCANNING ? DVD MASTERING ? AUDIO RESTORATION Hear my Kurzweil Creations at:

sites at:

-
Reply to
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Thanks! That's exactly what I ended up doing, and it seems to be working pretty well. Unfortunately, we just finished painting all our rooms, now they're covered in sawdust! cant win! thanks again

Reply to
JT