Hardwood vs Engineered Wood vs laminate floors

There have been numerous post on this topic. Sorry to add yet another. To read through the others is an ardusous process and the information is scattered. Would some of you knowlegeable folks help me with the tradoffs. I've made a "first draft" below:

Hardwood: Pros -- most beautiful, can be refinished, can purchase prefinished or not.

Cons -- most expensive, of the three, it's the most difficult to install.

Engineered wood: Pros -- Provides a cost savings over hardwood. Somewhat easier to install. Can be refinished a few times, quieter

Cons -- doesn't look quite as good as hardwood because the pieces aren't quite as random and hardwood planks.

Laminates: Pros -- Cheapest of the three choices, easiest to install.

Cons -- Doesn't look quite as beautiful, doesn't refinish (but wears well).

Please help correct, embellish, etc. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
emptyshell

One of the main advantages of engineered wood is that it is far less affected by moisture than regular hardwood, which can cup and warp a lot easier. That means engineered can be used in areas subject to moisture, like bathrooms, basements, etc., where hardwood is a poor choice.

I also think that realistically, the refinishing issue between hardwood and engineered really isn't significant. Both have limitations in how many times they can be sanded down. In the case of engineered, it's due to the thickness of the final top layer of wood. In the case of hardwood, it can only be sanded down to the level where the tounge/groove is, which isn't too much different. Both can be refinished more than most homes will every need.

As for laminates, I think "doesn't look quite as beautiful", is an understatement. Upon a close look, it becomes obvious that it's not real wood period. Nor does it add to resale value like real wood does, when you can feature it in your listing. I think it's two best features are cost and stain/water resistance for areas where that is a major concern.

Reply to
trader4

Cannot be instaled on a slab or below grade wihtout extensive preparation.

Can be instaled on a slab or below grade.

Can be installed on a slab or below grade.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You are in the US. Are you not? Why consider anything else? Hardwood is the way to go.

Reply to
yaofeng

"You are in the US. Are you not? Why consider anything else? Hardwood is the way to go. "

Would you put hardwood in an occasionally used basement office area where cost and moisture are issues?

Reply to
trader4

Unless you are talking about installing on slab, in my opinion it is the easiest.

Reply to
Alan

Yes, under the right circumstances. Not everyone can use hardwood. Educate yourself about what works where.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

have you ever refinished a floor? It's really hard to make it look good, or really expensive to have it done.

Reply to
longshot

I have and it was not all that bad. The tough parts was the edges. Dust control is something to take care of though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I would. Moisture can be overcome.

Reply to
yaofeng

Anything can be overcome given enough time and money. Now practicality is something else.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski