Hardwood tile replacement

I need to replace about 12 hardwood tiles at my place due to water damage. They are square, 9" x 9", and (I am guessing) 5/16" thick. They are micro-beveled. They are definitely of the engineered variety (one veneer delaminated due to water). They are parquet-type, but not the type you can make patterns with - the veneer is uniform, looks like oak. Installed in 1988.

Anyhoo, a flooring contractor gave me the following quote: $250 for 30-45 minutes of work plus $120 for a box of tiles. I offered $150 for labor, and he just laughed. Business must be good these days...

So I declined. I can do the work myself, but can't seem to find the replacement tiles anywhere. I visited the websites of iFloors, Bruce, Mannington, Harris-Tarkett and a few others with no luck. Bruce makes some parquet tiles, but in wrong size.

Any idea where I should look?

Thanks

Reply to
MYSYKOT

How do you know it's 3-45 minutes work? Does this installer live next door to you where he can just walk next to your house or is he going to have to drive to a supplier, get the tiles, drive to your house and spend more like 2-3 hours on the project...

Ask him where to find the tiles. I hope he just laughs at your cheap ass again.

Reply to
the_plumber

development

In this case you may also need to pay (your estimate) $100 for knowing where to buy the flooring.

By the time you track down the source, pay for a sample to verify color and find another installer (and will this person be licensed and insured?), how many hours will you have worked to save a $100? And what is your time worth to you?

Not taking sides here; just pointing out the adage penny wise and pound foolish.

Best wishes

Reply to
Colbyt

development

offered, plus

Hehe, with a smug attitude that you think you're rich, it's a wonder his minimum isn't $500. The guy probably has that million dollar condo down on the end. Makes you wish you would've chosen the flooring profession, doesn't it?

Reply to
Stuart

"3GCPO" said

In this case, it looks like a EX-potential customer. Guess it depends on what side you are looking at the story from. $120 for 1 hour of work or $0 for an estimate. Being a small business man, I have learned that you can laugh and walk away. The downside to the laugh-walk away senario is you lost a potential repeat customer and likely a few other customers just from negative word of mouth. In my experience, there are plenty of craftsmen willing and able to do the job at a "bargained for" price.

TB

Reply to
Tim Bondy

The last part of the story is that in the not-too-distant future I will be replacing all the hardwood in the place. So these 12 tiles were supposed to just hold me over for the time being. He also gave me an estimate for the total hardwood replacement. It was twice as high as what my buddies at work said it should be, based on work they had done at their homes. So, the guy is remarkably consistent.

Stuart sez: >>Hehe, with a smug attitude that you think you're rich, it's a wonder his minimum isn't $500. The guy probably has that million dollar condo down on the end. Makes you wish you would've chosen the flooring profession, doesn't it?

Reply to
MYSYKOT

Don't get too offended... they get real huffy around here when you suggest that _any_ price is too high. There were actually folks defending a $900 dishwasher install, and a $800 water heater install. I think most contractors feel that you every buck you can get from a customer is a fair buck and an honest day's work.

Back on topic... are these tiles in an area like an entry way ? If so, and it got damaged by water once before, it will get damaged again. You might want to consider ceramic tile for an entry or high wear area. Just a thought.

As far as replacement wood tile availability: if the contractor has been doing work in your condo development a long time and he saw these tiles wearing out, he probably purchased a large supply of them knowing he had a captive audience. They may no longer be manufactured. Perhaps you can pull one up and find a name on it that is readable enough to figure out where they were made... perhaps not.

Bob

Reply to
'nuther Bob

but, but, that would defeat our purpose! f*ck'm rich bastages!

Reply to
the_plumber

Reply to
Liam McGowan

Lemme know what's wrong with this approach, Liam.

You generally get what you pay for. >>

Exactly. I was asked to pay $500/hour for a hardwood installation job.

I can get a 3-day Caribbean vacation for $500.

Guess what my choice will be?

Gotta love the free market economy.

Reply to
MYSYKOT

best advice I've seen in this whole thread

you get the star of the day!

"Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his p"art"y did not miss the boat."

Reply to
3GCPO

You probably spend your time in the Caribbean looking for waitstaff that will accept a 5% tip also.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill