Hanging a shelf in drywall

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

last time I was doing work on walls, I would take a digital picture of the wall, upload it to my computer, fire up the Paint program and using my notes put annotations on the picture so I could print it out and have it with me when I had to go back to do something else. Since most homeowners have a computer these days and many are skilled at DIY and using a computer, it would be a good idea for them to use their digital camera to take pictures of their walls and take notes while they're documenting what they own for insurance purposes. Back when I was working as contractor for a national service company, I had to take pictures of the work, upload them along with scans of the work order and a description of what was done. I stored all this information on my computer so I'd have it if and when I had to go back. A home owner should keep a maintenance, repair and project log on their computer along with pictures and scans of paperwork so they can refer back to it at any time. I've gone to someone's home before to fix something for them and they had no idea of what previous work had been done. They didn't even have a file cabinet. (-??)

Hey unc could you limit your sentence length to like 100 characters or so?

This has really gotten off track IMO. This is records archival. I've seen pixs of houses under construction taken by owners and ask then what room it is, No idea. If they know the room they won't know the wall. Soon the pixs get buried under the normal magma. Video is good for insurance & crime scene people. Make sure to open the drawers to expose your doilie collection.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

st be more careful about drilling holes in walls. Even a high quality Zirco n mulifunction stud finder isn't that expensive and enhances safety. I thin k you can rent one of those expensive wall scanners and do something I've d one when I had a lot of work to do on a wall at different times. I'd make n otes about measurements of what I found on a drawing after scanning a wall. The

[...]

, I'm not writing about the last century, I use a digital camera and I'd re commend that a homeowner do the same thing but save the pictures and scans of their documents online in case of fire or theft. (?_?)

Cool your jets Mon, I was thinking of older houses where work is being done . Not the modern McShacks. If they lose their computer in a fire, what then? I think it is a good idea what you are doing, at least for yourself.

Reply to
Tekkie®