"Hairline" crack in toilet & tank: Problem?

Dix posted for all of us...

Flex Seal?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Or silicone caulk, after it's been emptied out and allowed to completely dry out. I guess the bigger question is what the future holds, where it;s located, and what the consequences of failure are. If it's in a commercial garage with a cement floor, I wouldn't be so worried. If it's a residence and it's upstairs, I wouldn't screw around, I'd replace it. Who knows what the failure mechanism is, it might go from a tiny leak to a bigger crack suddenly.

Reply to
trader_4

trader_4 posted for all of us...

You have that right. I would just replace it. I was really being facetious as Flex Seal is the newest 'miracle' product.

I wonder how it got cracked? Knocked with something? I could see the bowl cracking from sketchy mounting but the tank? Oh well.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I've had all my old toilets replaced in turn when problems developed. Very happy with the newer low flush models as they use less water to dump into the septic and better designed mechanisms are practically trouble free. I also let my plumber do it. I can fix anything on a toilet but discovered as many others have that tightening down too tight can crack the porcelain.

Reply to
Frank

Remodeled both bathrooms about 4 years ago. Put in Kohler 1.6 gpf, comfort height and slow close seats. As you get older the comfort height certainly is nice.

The 1.6 flush has never missed a perfect flush. Much better than the originals of years ago that took two or three hits to clear.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I remember them cursing these toilets when they first came out but apparently all the problems were solved with time. Also recall the days to save water people put bricks in the toilets then needing to flush more.

Only new toilet I have that is fussy is a Toto with a 3 inch flapper and a side mounted lever. Toilet has a great flush but I could only fix it with OEM parts. Other Toto with a 2 inch flap and front lever is 20 years old and has never needed any fixing.

Reply to
Frank