Ground Termites - Do it yourself treatments?

Hello, Looking at several types of baiting systems that you can buy online to save some $$, plus at least own the baiting devices. Have found Firstline, Home Choice. Have used Sentricon & it did work but wondering if there are less expensive alternatives. Btw, I did Google newsgroups to see if this topic was brought up before. Thanks for any & all help. Rick

Reply to
Ricky

This is Turtle.

I'm not a termite person but talk to the termite people some with my house.

1] If the termites are in your house already you use bait type stuff.

2] If they have not gotten into your house already . you use chemicals to kill them as the enter.

3] The best it to call the termite people to come spray.

4] if you want to spray yourself. use Duraband sold by T-N-T at $6.00 a bottle which makes 5 gallons of spray. Houses off the ground spray the pillers and anything that touches the ground. if a slab. Dig a 6'' ditch around your house and fill it with Duraband. A 2,000 sq. ft. house will take about 6 to 8 bottles.

5] now the best is to get the real termite company to spray it right and not worry about it.

Duraband is to be taken off the market in the year 2005 or 2006 but not sure. Someone may want to check on this for i lost touch with the time of it moving on.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

In article , snipped-for-privacy@cox.net says... :) Hello, :) Looking at several types of baiting systems that you can buy online to :) save some $$, plus at least own the baiting devices. Have found :) Firstline, Home Choice. Have used Sentricon & it did work but wondering :) if there are less expensive alternatives. Btw, I did Google newsgroups :) to see if this topic was brought up before. Thanks for any & all help. :) Rick :) :) Baits are too much money for no more results that you get and by nature aren't the best way as a stand alone way to protect the home. The baits you can get will kill termites that feed on the baits and then in turn the ones they feed, but it will be only a fraction of the nest feeding on any given time. The best alternative is having the home treated with Termidor. The comparison will vary around the country but in the Dallas area for example, my cost for a Termidor treatment can be 1/3 of a Sentricon ...often referred as "simple con"...job, and I have yet to have a call for re treatment on any home treated with it.

Reply to
Lar

In article , snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says... :) This is Turtle. :) :) 4] if you want to spray yourself. use Duraband sold by T-N-T at $6.00 a bottle :) which makes 5 gallons of spray. Houses off the ground spray the pillers and :) anything that touches the ground. if a slab. Dig a 6'' ditch around your house :) and fill it with Duraband. A 2,000 sq. ft. house will take about 6 to 8 bottles. :) 5] now the best is to get the real termite company to spray it right and not :) worry about it. :) :) Duraband is to be taken off the market in the year 2005 or 2006 but not sure. :) Someone may want to check on this for i lost touch with the time of it moving :) on.

Dursban was taken off of the market already...it can be used for pre construction work until the end of 2005.

:) TURTLE :) :) :)

Reply to
Lar

It's pretty common for those bait systems to just not work. It's a pain to maintain them and quite frankly, won't prevent them from coming into the house anyway. Key for termites is water and cellulose (typically wood). Provide a leaky pipe in a stud home and why would they bother with the bait? Best bet is to get it professionally done where they trench around the perimeter and treat it. If this is new construction, have them spray all the studs as well and then get the drywall up. I never really understood why the wood suppliers haven't sold "pretreated" lumber to prevent termites. Sounds like a money making venture to me. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Ricky -

I'm no expert, but have had cases of termites in my house.

In my experience, there is no do it yourself solution. The chmicals available in the stores are no longer as powerfull as they once were.

You could probably go search some of the "organic" sites for an answer, I used to think they were full of malarkey but a surprsing number of natural treatments can be effective.

I used the ... what was the name . ... terminex? system? Definitely not DIY..... but VERY EFFECTIVE, IMO.

Best of luck. Matt

Reply to
Matt Morgan

In article , snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net says... :) Since you sell Termidor, I'd rather see more authoritative information. :) Different areas of the country have different kinds of termite :) infestations, and ag extension services would be a good resource for :) experience in an area. Prevention and inspection are just as important. :) Subterranean and other termites can require very different treatments. :) Folks licensed in pest control have available different :) types/strengths of chemicals, and some chemicals may not be licensed for :) use in some states. :) :) I don't "sell" Termidor". I sell my service, with expectations of eliminating termite problems. I can use and probably have used any other of the products on the market. I did the bait routine before Termidor was on the market and have since pulled the stations and and treated my customer's home with it at my cost, because there is no question, termites are taken care of once it has been applied. It is the most expensive liquid product that the pros can buy, yet I can charge less per job because of the way it works and eliminates call backs. We have yet to have a call back on any home we treated with it since 2000 when it came on the market. PCO's are an informative bunch, type Pest Control in any search engine and email any company that pops up and ask what their opinion of termidor is whether they advertise using it or not. As mentioned termidor is not licensed in New York, but the same makers have another product called Phantom that is, that many claim works as well. I haven't used it on termite work (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) but for me it has proven to be as effective as the makers claims for indoor ant problems and German roach infestations, so would guess it would be another good product for termites.

Reply to
Lar

Since you sell Termidor, I'd rather see more authoritative information. Different areas of the country have different kinds of termite infestations, and ag extension services would be a good resource for experience in an area. Prevention and inspection are just as important. Subterranean and other termites can require very different treatments. Folks licensed in pest control have available different types/strengths of chemicals, and some chemicals may not be licensed for use in some states.

Reply to
Norminn

Everyone's suggestions have been good, but remember that this is a big world and there are many different termite problems. What works in Scotland may not work well in Florida or the other way around. I suggest contacting someone local or at least tell us in what kind of area you live. Often a local authority like the US county extension service can be of a lot of help.

BTW I agree that a bait system may not be a good idea in most areas when you don't already have them, why invite them?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

That said, I would rather have research based information. I trust your business judgement as much as the "other guy", but I would want more scientific info than opinions from people who use the product in business. Who would admit that something they "sell" is less than best?

Reply to
Norminn

I've been looking into the borate/glycol mixes for termite/mold prevention There are DIY recipes involving boric acid, borax, and propylene glycol which imitate commercial boracare, and tim-bor for much less money than the commercial products.

I can't seem to find the links right now.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

The average homeowner isnt suppose to be able to buy Termidor, BUT some people do sell that stuff on some popular online auction sites. This stuff can get expensive. I recall some water mix stuff that was about 150.00 a package. Real nasty stuff but when mixed and put in the soil it killed the infestation.

Same exact stuff the pro's use. Just make sure to follow the manufactures website (or package) to the letter.

Tom

Lar wrote:

licensed for

Termidor

Reply to
BocesLib

The problem with any of the borate treatments is that they don't penetrate the wood enough to give complete protection. Also, you can't apply them to hidden areas (wall studs, sheet rocked basement rafters, etc, etc.).

I've had good luck with the baiting system sold by Home Depot - the Terminate sulflurimide bait traps. However, I place the bait tubes much closer than recommended and constantly monitor them.

In three houses where I've used this treatment, termite activity has drastically falllen off or has been eliminated. However, in one case it took 3 years of constant treatment.

Doug

Reply to
DOUGLAS