Gray PVC fittings in residential plumbing -- kosher?

I've just redone one bathroom and found that the nipple between the brass fitting back in the wall and the stop valve for the toilet tank was gray PVC, such as one uses for sprinkler systems. I assumed that this was not kosher and replaced it with a galvanized one.

Now I have come to the second bathroom and found that the galvanized nipple is seriously corroded. Perhaps the PVC nipple in the first bathroom was there for a reason?

What is the correct material to use here?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Either use a brass nipple or change it to copper. Pvc is fine too if you like the pvc. Its installed everywhere now but Im still not thrilled with having an entire house plumbed with it. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

White PVC, yes. It was the use of *gray* PVC that I was questioning.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I believe that typically grey PVC is Schedule 80 so it might be OK. Not sure if PVC is colored grey for other reasons or not.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

de quoted text -

IIANM 'grey' is electrical conduit. I have used Sched 80 PVC and it was same color as sched 40.

Harry K

Reply to
harry k

In article , snipped-for-privacy@notmyISP.invalid

Grey is electrical conduit. I have no idea what the differences are, perhaps a higher dielectric rating?

Reply to
DT

One differance is the Grey is more UV light resistant and holds up beter in the sun. Not sure of others.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

quoted text -

Sch 80 plumbing fittings are dark gray. Non metallic conduit is a lighter gray

Reply to
gfretwell

This is a *threaded* grey PVC fitting of the kind that I have all over the place in my lawn sprinkler system. Shinier and darker in color than the PVC electrical conduit.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Personally for drainage I prefer PVC over copper, galvanized, lead, or cast iron.

all of those eventually clog or go bad.

PVC is smooth inside and drains better clogs less........... appears to last forever if properly installed

cast iron is better for runs thru living spaces, if you replace cast iron with PVC it will be dramatically louder

Reply to
bob haller

quoted text -

Apropos of this discussion I was in the electrical dept of HD a this PM (actually two; I walked out of the first one after being unable to locate the zip line or an associate who wouldn't ignore me to my face) and while looking for what I needed saw the rack of electrical conduit; it was actually marked "Schedule 40 Electrical Conduit." weird. I thought "Schedule 40" referred to water pipe... This was light grey as you say; a different color than I was thinking of. I do have some Sch.

80 PVC fittings laying around and they're still what I would call a light grey but not as light as the conduit. I think I bought them because I needed a reducer bushing for the outlet of one of my cisterns and was only able to find the bushings in PVC and cast iron (and I didn't want to use cast iron outside.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Schedule 20, 35, 40 and 80 (and perhaps others) refer only to the weight and wall thickness of the pipe, with the higher numbers thicker. PVC electrical conduit is available in Schedule 40 and Schedule 80, with Schedule 80 required wherever the conduit could be subject to physical damage.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney