Good source for materials ReStore

If you need stuff for your home you may want to take trip to your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore.

Looks like they get more donations of materials than they can use and sell the rest. Like most thrift stores you never know what will be there from day to day.

I've been to the one in Trenton, NJ and it was worth the trip. I had no immediate projects or needs but wnated to check it out. The place was filled with useable: Used furniture used kitchen cabinets (workshop cabinets) new kitchen cabinets (save thousands) new & used vanities new & used sinks (porcelain & SS) stacks & stacks of new tile (most was porcelain) mortar & grout used tools used Chandeliers

I will never start a new project w/o going there first and plan to add it to my cycle of places to visit occasionaly. While I was there a guy bought a complete set of cabinets including an island and granite top for $3,000.

check yours out today

----------------------------------------------------------- Get free backup service using Drop Box Access your files from your smartphone or tablet Bonus space provided using this link:

Limp Arbor

I dunno if this was spam or not but I will respond

I've donated alot of unused or over purchased building materials to Habitat for Humanity Restores. From appliances to drywall to hardwood flooring to sheathing to mouldings to fixtures.

The stores in my county sell it to the public then take the money to build a new homes for those families who qualify. The law in Ontario, from my understanding, is they cannot build brand new homes without using brand new materials, so Habitat sells the donated materials to guys like us then uses the money for their charitable work. Maybe elsewhere they are allowed to use used materials in the construction of homes....

It helps that I get a charitable tax receipt from the Canadian Government as well that usually exceeds what I could get from selling to lowballers on craigslist so see if you can get a tax receipt or if HfH is a charity in your part of the world.

Reply to
Duesenberg

you may want to take trip to your

No, not spam.

Is this just for charities like HfH? I would think re-using lumber, brick, etc. would be encouraged instead of burying it somewhere.

----------------------------------------------------------- Get free backup service using Drop Box Access your files from your smartphone or tablet Bonus space provided using this link:

Limp Arbor

BTDT

I recently bought an interior door for the "apartment" my son occupies in the basement of a friend's house. [OK, it's a bedroom and a bathroom, but it's *his* bathroom. ;-) ]

They wanted $20 for the door slab, $10 for the hinges and lever style handle set.

After finding a door, I saw a jamb set wrapped in plastic over in a corner. I asked the guy how much he wanted for it and he said "Just take it."

$30 total...way cheaper than a home center.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My local ReStore is way too proud of their crap. It's been a waste of time, every time.

I dropped them from the charities to which we donate. The kicker was a $175.00 (ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS) 30 year old tiny electric clothes dryer.

YMMV. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I don't know about Canadian Code or other reg's on the subject but my take from some builds in the past is at least in the States it's a question of the logistics. The HfH builds are a modified "fast-build" thing and pretty much standardized. Trying to work in random bits and pieces of stuff from donations simply doesn't fit the model and would take far more time (and in the end time is money even for nonprofits) than it saves. So, the stores are the recycling project and essentially a continual fundraiser.

There's a local nonprofit here w/ a differing route to the same goal of affordable housing--it takes old houses in the original part of the town and if feasible refurbs them completely (altho in some cases has had to demolish and rebuild when repair costs were just beyond all reason compared to end value) also w/ the new owner labor buy-in and a combination of volunteer and contracted labor.

In those since they're one-of-a-kind anyway, we have both salvaged/refinished/repaired original materials as well as used/salvage from HfH or other sources. But, none of these are a quick-build process, even the new construction.

Reply to
dpb

I donate and shop there all the time. Good deal for all.

Reply to
paulaner