Good Qualtiy Kin-sized Mattress

We spent a lot of money at Macy's for a Sealy mattress with a form-fitting foam which was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. It may have been called Sealy True Form.

We soon got depressions where each of us sleep, so that we have to "climb a hill" to visit each other.

We have had the depressions measured, but they are not deep enough to qualify for Macy's replcement policy.

Our son and his wife bought a similar mattress from another firm and had the same experience.

It seems as though the form-fitting idea was just some sort of a marketing scam.

We would like to buy a new mattress. Does anyone have a recommendation for a no-nonsense, firm mattress?

Many thanks

Dwight Gibb

Reply to
Dwight

Similar experience here. Bought a Serta Sagger Pillow Top. Top of the line with a top of the line price. After 14 months replaced it with a locally manufactured conventional mattress. Satisfaction. And about half the price. It was, however, a very expensive learning experience. I've since discovered a couple of other families in the neighborhood that had the same problem with pillow top or foam top mattresses. The guarantee is worthless because the residual depression is measured without anyone lying on the mattress, and the foam top recovers from whatever depression is caused by laying on it.

Reply to
DaveW

Land and Sky's Impression 8500 waterbed has my vote.

Reply to
Bernt Berger

Here's what I can tell you about mattresses.

I've got a king-size double-sided King Koil mattress that has a bit of a pillow-top layer on it (about an inch thick on both sides) and it's covered in a sort-of shiny, smooth fabric. This mattress is probably pushing 15 years old.

I have a matching box spring to go with it.

At some point in the past few years I started waking up with a back ache. I put up with that for a while, then decided it's time to go mattress shopping.

I was totally pissed off at what I found for sale. What I didn't like:

1) single-sided. 99.99% were single sided. 2) pillow-top was way to thick.

3) fabric covering was way to plush, soft, delicate.

So, taking these one at a time:

I wanted a double-sided mattress, but apparently at some point around the year 2000, the industry switched to single-sided. Sales people will tell you that's good- you don't have to flip the mattress any more (not that you *needed* to flip a double-sided mattress as opposed to just rotating it just like you also have to do with a single-sided mattress). But that wasn't why the industry went to single-sided. The reason was new fire safety regulations (something about burn or combustion time) that could be more easily met by making the mattress single-sided.

The additional thickness of the pillow-top is I think a way to counter consumer expectations of not having a double-sided mattress. "Well, if you're not going to give me a double-sided mattress, you'd better make that single-side extra thick and cushy".

Which brings us to the third point. The extra plush, velvety soft cover found on many mattresses. Now, I don't know about you, but a cover like that just screams to want to absorb all manner of body fluids. Not like the mattress cover of my existing mattress (that shiny, smooth fabric) which I believe is known as "damask".

Now, when you have a thick layer that needs to be quilted, then you can't use something like damask because there'd be too many wrinkles and stress points on the fabric. So they go with a more stretchy, soft fabric - which helps to sell the mattress when you're in the show room and you put your hand down to feel it. Now, it's a crock to have such a soft absorbant cover fabric when you consider you're going to put a sheet between it and your body anyways, and possibly even a water-proof mattress cover.

Ok, so I was ready to plunk down what-ever it took for a descent mattress, but I was not going to buy one of these single-sided versions.

So I went back to the drawing board (almost literally) and got a 3/4" sheet of 4x8 plywood and put it under my side of the bed - between my old King Koil mattress and the box spring.

Instantly my morning back pain went away. Upon closer examination, it turns out that the top surface of the box spring (fabric strung tightly over the widely-spaced spring rails) just couldn't support the mattress coils properly. The plywood made for a solid *flat* surface and worked perfectly.

That was maybe 2 years ago, and I'm still sleeping on that same mattress.

If you do a bit of web-searching about mattresses, you'll find that there are people that search for 2-sided mattresses, and companies that will supply them, as in this:

Home Guy

Hi, You can have a mattress custom made from a custom mattress shop. Maybe that is the best option.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The kin-sized mattress is used mostly by people with ... certain ... predilections that I don't want to discuss here. In many places they are illegal.

Reply to
micky

I thought there would be a problem, and I never slept in one. I am in the market and I will watch out. Thanks.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

You mean "relative humidty"?

Like when atmospheric conditions are just right and the sweat off your balls is rolling down the cheeks of your sister-in-laws ass?

Reply to
harry

You can ship my new keyboard.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Of course there is the "Sleep Number Bed". Fancy name for nothing but an air mattress with dual pumps. Alsocomes with a fance price. I sure do get tired of their commercials. Anything I hear beign pushed that hard on TV I figure is a rip-off.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I think I will try that. The king on our bed has 'form fitting' depressions and they are there whether the mattress is flipped or rotated.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I have this. 5 years or so and one side has a leak. I doubt I could find the leak so I too am in the market.

Reply to
Thomas

Thomas wrote in news:3577f7c1-d09d-4b89-81b1- snipped-for-privacy@t38g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Try these guys and don't be put off by the web site, they are good folks.

I have purchased parts from them to repair an air bed in the past.

Reply to
Doc

We bought a foam mattress years ago and in my view it was pretty poor. Just bought two mattress (one Queen and one King ... firm) from The Original Mattress factory which has Consumers Reports highest rating. They are flipable. Time will tell.

Reply to
Pointer

Had a couple of mattresses custom made from Mattress Factory Wanted them extra firm. Came out a lot less expensive than buying brand name. Was even able to go and watch while they were being made.

The most important point is that the metal frame & springs not be recycled from some old mattress that was stripped (and in some cases not even stripped, but just covered with a new layer)

Reply to
Attila.Iskander