Glue molding onto mirror in bathroom??

Double-sided tape.

RicodJour

We are going to do some decorating in our bathroom. We have a 96 inch long mirror above our sinks. It is just a plain mirror and I want to dress it up. The bottom sits on a bracket directly on top of the back splash block and there is about three inches of wall on each side of it. The thought of taking it down and replacing it seems a bit intimidating [ looks heavy, etc] with something that big and I am not even sure how it is attached to the wall. I was thinking of either putting molding around the side and top of it up to but not onto the mirror or using larger molding that covers the wall space on each side and overlapping the mirror a couple of inches. What I was wondering is about putting molding around the bottom of the mirror. Can molding be successfully glued onto a mirror and if so what adhesive would be recommended? Secondly if that is viable and thinking ahead how hard would it be to remove such glued on molding in case of damage or wanting to change it. Thanks for any advice. --- Steve

Reply to
Steven L Umbach

Check out

Lee & Cathi Thomas

And put a bead of silicone along the molding like you would a window, especially at the bottom so condensation doesn't get behind the molding.

Reply to
Norminn

Yes and just about any glue. Easiest is a caulk type material like silicon. Be aware that the back side of the molding - that touching the mirror - will be reflected by the mirror and will be visible. _____________

Hard

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Is the molding back visible because of refraction or something? If a bead of painter's caulk is run along the mirror and molding before finishing should prevent one from seeing the back....(I haven't tried it so I don't know...

I did see a project where a trim was painted on a mirror to match the ceiling boarder, sealed well and it looked great ...In this case (thread) a portion of the wall will be covered - not just the mirror.

oren "My doctor says I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber, and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Reply to
meAT

The mirror silvering is on the back of the glass. The depth (thickness) of the mirror allows a reflection of the back of the molding. Painting the back of the molding black and using black silicone caulk is a typical way of dealing with it.

RicodJour

Reply to
nospambob