glue for plastic and rubber

I've got a select comfort bed. It has a nozzle for inserting air. For the second time it has popped out. Select Comfort replaced the mattress the first time. I'd like to glue it back myself.

The nozzle is hard white plastic and it is inserted into brownish rubberlike pad with matching hole. The glue residue looks like gorilla glue. Select Comfort says it is a trade secret what kind of industrial glue they use. Sounds dumb to me.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

I don't have any idea about the glue, but if I was putting something together and it wasn't holding, I wouldn't tell anybody what I was using either,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

3m emblem adhesive will probably work. It's what they use to stick trim on cars, and it is good when you need to bond two different materials and flexibility is important. IT's a version of contact cement.

Auto parts stores.

Reply to
salty

Some plastics just don't stick with glue so just saying it is hard while plastic is meaningless. It may be styrene, ABS polyethylene, polypropylene, nylon, glass filled nylon, Delrin or a hundred others. The brownish rubber-like pad can be one of a few hundred compounds also.

They may or may not use Gorilla glue. Tell them to send you some glue or a new mattress.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I bought a foam mattress and am happy. I think select comfort mattresses sucks but they have one of the nicest and most accomodating people I've ever dealt with. Whoever trains or hires them deserves a metal.

Reply to
AKA gray asphalt

They're lying. When company employees don't know something, they'll claim it's a trade secret or proprietary information.

If they use something like Gorilla glue, there are other urethane glues that may work better. The Oct. 2007 Consumer Reports said that Loctite Sumo was the best for sticking to plastic, followed by Elmer's Ultimate and Liquid Nails Rhino Ultra. OTOH if Select Comfort uses rubber glue, the best may be the high temperature kind sold by appliance parts dealers for gluing felt strips to clothes dryer drums. But also good is CRC automotive disk brake anti-squeal:

It's not advertised as a glue but is actually hi-temp rubber glue. It takes a long time to cure and also stains.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

What leads you to believe disk brake anti-squeal, even if it is a glue, would be a good choice for gluing hard plastic to a softer rubber-like material at room temp? Or that high temp glue for a clothes dryer felt would work on hard plastic either?

Reply to
trader4