I have a GFI installed at our lily pool. The pumps are the only things
running off it. I ran a line out to my tool shed and according to the
instructions for the GFI, the shed should also be protected by the GFI. The
other day I went out to the tool shed, the grass was wet with dew and I was
just wearing house slippers, I suspect my feet were slightly damp. I grabbed
the power cord of a battery charger to unplug it. Apparently mice had chewed
the insulation on the cord and I grabbed the bare wire and got knocked on my
butt. Why didn't the GFI protect me?
The GFI works on the unbalance of current between live and neutral.
Ground may not come into it at all (despite the GFI designation).
So suggestion: Maybe you touched both live and neutral wires that the
mice had chewed so as be bare, simultaneously and electric current
went through your hand but live and neutral currents being balanced,
it did not trip the GFI?
However if current went from your hand through your body to the damp
ground it's a good question; one would think that would be an
unbalanced current that would trip the GFI?
Also could anyone comment on the amount of current through human body!
Even a few milliamps, not enough or fast enough to trip the GFI could
Assuming, although not stated, for the moment this is typical North
American/Mexico etc. 115 volts circuit etc. Not European style 230
Two possibilities: The GFCI is defective, or GFCI devices trip when a fault
current is leaked to ground. If the hot and neutral wires were bare, and you
touched only them, and no ground, you'll simply stand there and fry, and the
GFCI won't do a thing for you
I can't believe nobody asked the obvious question here: is the outlet
wired correctly? You say you "ran a line out to my tool shed" off the
GFCI outlet, and everyone assumed you did this correctly; did you?
In order to protect things "downstream" of the outlet, those things have
to be connected to the "load" connections of the GFCI device. If you
just wired the shed into the "line" side, nothing on that line will be
"Wikipedia ... it reminds me ... of dogs barking idiotically through
endless nights. It is so bad that a sort of grandeur creeps into it.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.