GFI Outlet

210.52(A)
Reply to
gfretwell

It will be required to be on an AFCI tho and that has 30ma GFCI protection. That short in your compressor that you have been dealing with will still trip the AFCI

Reply to
gfretwell

On 9/10/2009 8:37 AM professorpaul spake thus:

Remote control, eh?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I don't see anything requiring a dwelling refrigerator, in a kitchen, to be afci protected. Where are you finding it?

Reply to
RBM

Yes, but I'd check the wiring connections first. Spikes generated by washer and dryer motors shouldn't normally trip GFIs since they're allowed to delay tripping to handle nuisances, by as much as ~7 seconds for ~4mA detected leakage. UL standard 943 explains it, for the low, low price of just $750.

Reply to
do_not_spam_me

You are right. in a dwelling unit kitchen you only have to protect the receptacles serving the countertop. My mistake, sorry for any confusion. I have been in commercial since the 2008. They stopped building houses ;-(

BTW it is strange that you also don't need AFCIs or GFCIs on any receptacles in the kitchen that don't serve the countertop. I bet someone plugged that loophole in the 2011. I will have to look at the ROP when I get a minute. The draft is out too.

Reply to
gfretwell

No, but the drill or lawn mower do not have INDUCTION motors. They are both universal (or in some cases straight DC) motors. Many lawn mowers are DC motors run through a bridge rectifier.

Reply to
clare

Hmmm, Is your SWR low and have good station ground? I have wireless thermostat, garage door opener, all kind wireless gadgets around house. If I key my TX nothing happens on any thing.

73, VE6CGX HAM since '60
Reply to
Tony Hwang

Any place you could possibly touch a faulty electrical device and a good ground at the same time. Therefore, within reach of a sink or shower or a damp concrete floor.

That makes sense - but what of safety grounds? They are there for the same purpose. Fridges have 3 wire cords. Unlike many "double insulated" or "polarized" small appliances. And things like hair driers. If the ONLY thing that can be plugged into a circuit provided for the fridge is the fridge, I really can't see why they would REQUIRE a GFCI.

Reply to
clare

On 9/10/2009 6:38 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

As you know, it all ultimately depends on the inspector. A friend of mine had to install GFCIs in his remodeled kitchen even in some remote outlets not on the countertop; one was under an island (no sink nearby), the other was a wall outlet.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Hi, In real life leakage current is not the only thing trips GFCI. Ever measured surge when a motor starts? GFCI being electronic sensor that surge can trigger it too. I am talking from real life experience.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Keyword here is OUTSIDE.

You keep talking about winding insulation. We are talking about surge(spike)

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A balanced surge on the hot returning on the neutral will have no effect on the GFCI. Only if it leaks to ground will it trip a GFCI.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Hi, You are talking theory, in real life out in the field, theory does not stand always. After all I spent half a century working around this kinda stuffs. After all nothing is PERFECT in this world.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Fine, nothing is PERFECT. The sensing coil in the particular GFCI unit may be slightly out of balance, so that instead of just responding to the differential current, it responds very slightly to the total current. Or the appliance may have a small ground fault and have excessive leakage current. Either way, if the GFCI trips on a repated basis, something is defective and should be replaced.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

Hi, Of course. I can trip GFCI in my house with slight RFI if I want to. We have to figure out to keep it from false tripping by design improvement like implementing micro processor or ASIC, I mean using AI or fuzzy logic?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes, replaced with a standard outlet if it is feeding a motored appliance.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I have a fridge outside that has always been on a GFCI and never tripped it. I guarantee you, if you put a 2-3 prong adapter on the plug of a fridge that trips a GFCI (floating the ground) and then measure the case to ground, you will see 120v. It may be spikes when it starts and stops or it may be solid. Be careful not to get killed. They develop shorts inside the compressor and that is why you have burnt smell when you open up the freon line of an old fridge.

Reply to
gfretwell

Agree, or disagree, GFCI protection is required by location, not by application, and as long as a refrigerator uses a standard plug, anything that uses a standard plug will go in the same outlet

Reply to
RBM

You don't use a GFI for that application, You make sure you have it properly grounded.

Reply to
sligoNoSPAMjoe