GFCI wiring procedure

Did you actually read what I said, about the difference between the connections on the GFCI and the wires coming into the box? WHICH A goes to WHICH B?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It's not wrong if all the installer intends to do is protect the outlet built into the GFCI. It is in fact best practice to not protect outlets in a different room with a feed through receptacle type GFCI so that when the GFCI opens on a fault the user has a better chance of finding the problem in the same room as the GFCI.

Reply to
Tom Horne, Electrician

I so sometimes put a GFCI in an inside receptacle, where an outside receptacle is connected to the LOAD side. This makes it possible to control things like holiday lights from inside.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Why not just use a device timer?

Reply to
gfretwell

A GFCI is also a switch. A device timer is not a GFCI. This was for someone who would complain about a more complex installation.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It is not listed that way and there is no gurantee that "testing" it under load will not burn out the contacts.

Reply to
gfretwell

It's a neat trick, but a GFCI receptacle should not be used as a switch unless it is rated for switch duty. Same for circuit breakers.

Reply to
volts500