GFCI breaker tripping during heavy rain

I did exactly that with several boxes. Only a couple had wire nuts pointing down, so I fixed them. Also used silicone sealant to seal around the gray conduit where it entered the top of any boxes.

Good idea about how to find the culprit -- start at the halfway point. Then depending on the result, go to halfway along one of the two legs, and keep doing that until you find it. In computer jargon it's called the binary search method, and is one of the fastest ways to find something. There is a game that works the same way -- have someone think of a number between 1 and 100, then tell you if your guess is low or high. Using the binary technique you can always guess the number in about 7 tries.

Reply to
Sinbad

replying to w_tom, DSH3 wrote: What about a sum pump wire...heavy rain will back up in to that area? I have no knowledge just throwing out ideas

Reply to
DSH3

Every time it heavy rain to my ground fault to my pool that runs my pool pump my ionizer and my lights around the pool I replace the pump replaced the ionizer I replace the line the ghost of the lights around the pool still every time it rains it pops the circuit I can’t figure out why why

Reply to
Papao

You should buy some commas and periods and see if they fix it. Or at least if they get you a better post.

Reply to
micky

He replaced the equipment but what about the line itself? Crack in the insulation? Weathertight box not weathertight?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Definetely something getting damp. Gotta love DIYers who don't know what they are doing and only ask questions AFTER spending a few grand on parts without solving the problem.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I bet you are getting water in a box. If nothing else, be sure all wire nuts are away from the sides of the boxes and pointing up.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, better to ask questions before spending much money than after spending the money and the peoblem is not solved.

Too bad you were not here about 45 years ago when I had the 1972 Dodge that started sometimes and not others. YOu mentioned a bad ballast resistor was a common probelm back then. Too bad the service people did not know about that. I had to get rid of the car before I put 20,000 miles on it due to the no start problem.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Or the GFCI itself. First place I'd look is anywhere water can get in, eg boxes, switches, connections at the equipment, timer/control box. How about putting a tarp over some of it before it rains, see if it stops it, then you can track down the source.

Reply to
trader_4

And he could buy the wire nuts made for outside use while he's at it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

.. or just squirt some silicone grease in a regular one. That may or may not stop a GFCI trip tho, if they are pointing down and fill up with water. If it is touching the box, that energized water is plenty to trip a GFCI.

Reply to
gfretwell

Pump my ionizer it heavy rain? Try ghost lights on the circuit pops? Or maybe a ground timer circuit pump?

Reply to
Bobby

On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 16:15:03 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to digest...

Hey, it's like getting the car inspected after you buy it! What could go wrong?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 11:29:04 -0700, Bob F posted for all of us to digest...

Exorcism? Bad vapors?

Reply to
Tekkie©