Getting Heat To Other Side Of Home

Hi all,

Bought a home in a nice neighborhood a few years ago and have been slowly fixing it up. The front part of the L-shaped ranch was built around 1945, and the addition was built on around the late 1950's. When we bought the house, the original oil burning furnace was still there - someone had converted it over to gas - but we knew when we bought the house that it had to go. There is one air return, it is in a small hallway near the utility room (where the furnace is) on the floor.

Had a Bryant energy efficient furnace & puron central air conditioner put in. The new furnace & central air works great in the front part of the house and most of the addition, but it doesn't get to the master bedroom. I can feel some air, but it's like it dribbles out.

I had a HVAC company come out and check the ducts, they said that it would cost $200 to have some people check all the ducts for leaks or $2000 to have the entire house re-ducted.

I just put in more insulation hoping that will help, what else can anyone suggest I do? The run from the the utility room to the master bedroom is probably 150 feet (rough guess).

TIA,

Matty

Reply to
Matty
150 feet??? That is REALLY a long way to push air. And having only a single air return for the house is not a good idea.

You can insulate the duct and get a booster fan which installs in the duct to move more air thru it. The duct MIGHT have some sort of obstruction in it which is slowing the air down, but most likely it is just the length.

You can get a space heater for the bedroom (natural gas, vent thru the wall).

You can learn to like sleeping in the cold (very healthy).

What you CAN'T do is move air effectively through a duct that much longer than the other ductwork using just the furnace blower. Was the room warm under the old regime, or don't you know?

Reply to
donald girod