Gerard Roof

Hi

My daughter has asked my for my opinion on a "Gerard Steel Roof". I gather it is a galvinized, resin and stone coated steel panel roofing system. She is in Southen CA so doesn't have a snow load problem; her only problem is in brush fire situations; the steel panels should be fine for that.

What about the matter of leaving the old wood shakes under the new roof; that idea sort of bothers me, but it is jst an unsupported opinion.

Thanks,

Howey

Reply to
Charles Howey

I left the old shake under mine. No problem. The Gerard roof is a very light weight roof. Excellent hail resistance as well as fire. It seals very tightly. Also I was told it is one of the coolest roofs.

The only problem is that you do need to be careful when walking on it. You have to walk on the overlap ends of the shingles where it is supported. It will pop a dent. I have found the dent can be removed by pulling out a couple nails and popping it back out with a nail bar.

They now have some sort of foam that can be put under the shingles to prevent those dents.

I have had it for over 6 years and it looks as good as the day it was installed. Many don't believe me when I tell them that it is a steel roof. Mine is the tile style. I live in a high hail area and got a 27% discount on my home owners insurance.

In a fire area I suppose similar discounts would be available.

Good warranty too:

Rich256