Gas Oven - Natural Gas Odor

Lately when I use my natural gas oven, there is a strong gas odor for several hours after I turn off the oven. The repairman replaced the oven valve but it has not helped. I don't have this problem with the burners on the stove top. Does anyone have any ideas about what the problem might be? I am almost to the point of buying a new gas stove, but I keep thinking it might be a simple problem to fix if I only knew what the problem is. Thanks!

Reply to
r_smcclain

Hi, Do you have gas detector in your kitchen/house? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have a carbon monoxide detector in the bedroom but not in the kitchen. A representative from the gas company detected gas with his meter and he suggested that I replace the oven valve. thanks!

Reply to
r_smcclain

Call me silly but.............if you had the repairman over, he replaced the valve and it still didnt solve the problem, wouldn't you: A) Call the repairman to come back and have it fixed proberly, OR B) Call a new repairman that can fix the problem

Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

If that did not fix it, get the gas guy back to do more checking. . It may be some other cause that gets worse from the heat. Could be something simple like a connection that leaks a bit when heated.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The repairman already told me that he does not know what else the problem could be. I am right now trying to decide whether to buy a new stove or call another repairman. I have had this gas stove for 11 years and have had numerous problems/service calls. It is a Caloric - piece of junk!

Reply to
r_smcclain

Where I live (North Jersey) I would call the gas company. If they want to charge to fix it you make that decision, but in any case they should be able to locate the source of the odor at no cost.

LB

Reply to
LB

Yes, any repairman worth his salt should be able to find where the leak is, even if he had to use a sniffer. I don't buy that doesn't know what else it could be line. I'd call another repariman - and tell him the first guy said he can't find it; they like incentives like that to show up the competition. You might get a recommendation for someone good at it from your local code enforcement office, in fact.

Pop

Reply to
Pop

If it really is a natural gas leak (not beef drippings in the pan or something unrelated) a repair guy should be able to find the leak with a beeper.

You sound like you'd enjoy a new stove, so maybe treat yourself for Christmas?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon