I have a gas fireplace that is supposed to light when the light switch is flipped to the "ON" position. It worked fine for the first 10 years. The problem now is that it won't light when the switch is flipped. I have to remove the lower cover and push the red ignitor button several times.
The pilot is burning OK , actually a little high but I'll deal with that later, and the fire burns fine if I light it with the red ignitor. Everyone keeps telling me that the thermocouple is bad. Well if that were the case it shouldn't light at all,,, right? The fire will burn, it just won't ignight with the light switch. And if the switch were bad wouldn't that screw up the circuit and not allow it to light at all?
After the fireplace has been burning for a while, I can flip the switch and it will re-light. Once cold, I am back to using the red button again.