garbage disposal just hums

In sinkerator , probably 10 years old, no jam , turns freely, do I need a new one?

Reply to
allan

Likely. If you go for a new one I'd suggest looking at Sears. Theirs are badge-engineered ISEs and have the alternating direction feature even on the lower models (ISE only had the feature on the top end). When I replaced mine Sears was cheaper than the BORG for similar models (Kenmore vs. ISE). The one I got had all the plumbing in the same place as the ISE and used the same sink flange so I didn't even have to replace that. A half hour and I was all done (I wish all plumbing jobs went that well).

Reply to
keith

"Next time", why not cut a hole in the wall for an "old wiring" box and put an outlet in? Of course, assuming the wire is coming from the wall and not the floor.

Reply to
keith

Sounds like a bad centrifugal starter switch or the reversing switch if it's one of those alternate rotation units.

Either way, unless you just enjoy the challenge of fixing things, you are probably wiser to spring the $100 or so for a good quality new unit, you'll probably have to pay $25 for replacement switch parts if you can even buy them.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I've never seen an Insinkerator with an overload switch that didn't kill all power to the unit, so if it's humming it's odds on pressing the reset button won't accomplish anything.

Figure a C-note for a decent

I agree on getting a new one, but I've usually found the wiring part takes trivial time compared to the plumbing and mechanical stuff.

Why are yseveral of you guys making such a big deal over disconnecting and reconnecting three wires and maybe a cable clamp? Unless maybe it's a long trek to the breaker panel and someone's piled a punch of cartons and old furniture in front of it .

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Did you try the reset button, if it has one? Figure a C-note for a decent new one, not too hard to install if it isn't hardwired. If only 10 Y.O., probably plugs into a convenience outlet under sink.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Mine is hardwired and was a PITA the last time I replaced it. Next time can I terminate the wire in an outlet and put a plug on the disposal? I won't get any benefit until the time after that, but still...

Reply to
Toller

Yep, what you are familiar with certainly makes a difference on what is easiest/best doesn't it?

Reply to
wallybbo

I do one every 10 years. They are heavy and in a cramped area. Having it connected to a stiff cable coming out of the wall is just one more irritant. A plug would just make it easier. I suppose if you do 100 a year it is so easy that it doesn't matter one way or another.

Reply to
Toller

Well, that all depends. Which song does it hum?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, that all depends. Which song does it hum?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If it's already using a cord and plug you still have to remove that from the old disposer (or buy a new one) and attach it to the new disposer.

I agree it would be a little easier to make those connections because the the disposer can be lying on the floor rather than under the sink.

I guess what I was trying to say is that the effort required to neatly mount and wire a box, receptical and cover plate (in that same cramped area you mention) would probably be more than just leaving the wiring system as it is, considering that it's usually only about a once every ten year job.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia