Garage ceiling ideas? (drywall, plywood, etc?)

why not avoid all the hassles and do it with foam board ...mjh

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

I did my garage ceiling using tongue in groove porch flooring. I then stained it. It looks absolutely fantastic.

Reply to
Thomas Halay

Because some people want a more finished look. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

How about 1/4 inch hardboard? Cheap stuff, and feels pretty sturdy.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

I did not see any vinyl coated hardboard at Menards. All they had was regular hardboard. The 1/4 stuff was around $5 per 4x8 sheet.

Does your ceiling show any sagging at all? Does the vinyl give it any more strength? If not, and your 1/4 stuff works ok, I might just get the regular 1/4 hardboard, paint it and put it up.

-Ryan

Reply to
Ryan

It WILL sag! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Initially got mine from Home Depot, but got the majority of it from McEwan Lumber in Tucson. I think Lowes also has this.

My ceiling is a trussed ceiling and did not show any signs of sagging either before or after installation. I'm not sure how old the shop building is, I'm guessing at better than 10 years old (it was here when I moved in 4 years ago).

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

If you are talking about the 1/4 hardboard, I'm not sure how, being fastened down on 24" centers, there is going to be much sag possible unless it ever gets wet. There is moderate bowing that may occur, but this is pretty minimal as well.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

replying to Mark & Juanita, betterthanbob wrote: Hi. were your trusses 16" or 24"? Is it sagging at all?

Reply to
betterthanbob

I helped clean out a garage. Ceiling was thick asbestos sheets. No sag.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The OP was looking for a material they could purchase.

Do they sell thick asbestos sheets anywhere in the US or are you just a stoopid shet?

Reply to
Freddy Phartmeister

replying to Mark & Juanita, Wylie Coyote wrote: so, 13 yrs later, how has the ceiling held up? Did you nail it or use adhesive?

Reply to
Wylie Coyote

replying to gregz, H. M. Bowker wrote: Asbestos is deadly. It may take many years to do it, but it kills anything that breathes. Never handle it. Look up Libby, MT--you'll learn about asbestos.

Reply to
H. M. Bowker

replying to Mark & Juanita, Don Clark wrote: How has the vinyl bead board ceiling hold up I?m about to do the same thing

Reply to
Don Clark

replying to Mark & Juanita, Don Clark wrote: How has the vinyl bead board ceiling hold up I?m about to do the same thing

Reply to
Don Clark

Talk about a time warp! I wonder if they ever made a decision in the fifteen years since the original question was posted. FWIM, if I went to the expense of having a large two-car garage build and really gave a damn about it I'd certainly put up whatever sort of ceiling (probably 5/8" drywall) local building code called for in habitable space.

Reply to
John McGaw

replying to Mark & Juanita, Ward wrote: Did you also insulate your attic?

Reply to
Ward