fuel oil usage in boiler

I seem to be using more fuel oil this year in my boiler than in years past. I change the nozzle each year, clean out the innards of the boiler, change the filters. Is there something else that can control the amount of oil that these things use. I haven't raised the temperature or anything as obvious as that.

thanks

Reply to
stonecreek

Change the nozzle...umm...do you have it calibrated to make sure that you are getting the best flame for the condition the unit is in? If not...there is one idea... Do you have underground tanks? Do you use water treatment? If not...there is another... Did you change fuel oil weight? IE, go with #2 instead of #1 or vice versa?

Reply to
CBhvac

CB's right, as usual, but he omits one point.

Has it been colder this year than the previous ones?

not...there

Reply to
HeatMan

:)

Omit the possible obvious? ME? :)

Reply to
CBhvac

not...there

Tanks are in basement and winter is perhaps warmer than in previous years. Fuel is the same as in previous years. Please explain the calibration comment. I didn't know there was any sort of adjustment to calibrate these things.

thanks

Reply to
stonecreek

You mean you don't adjust the oil pressure, and air flow?

You don't use a combustion flue analyzer?

I'm not an oil tech, but I did work for one. In order to get your burner running at peak efficiency, you have to adjust the pressure of the oil pump, and also the airflow into the burner. Sounds like time to call an oil tech.

Reply to
alt-hvac Moderated