Frozen gas pipes?!

I just spotted a "What to do if your gas pipes are frozen" on my electricity/gas supply company's website (EDF).

Remind me, at what temperature does methane freeze?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Water can get into gas pipes and accumulate in low spots. Just as piping has a drip let at vertical elbows.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How does it let water out but not gas?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

I'm pretty sure Ed meant "leg" not "let"; it's just a collection point that keeps the condensate/entrained water have a place to go out of the main line into the appliance; not an automatic outlet.

And, yes, gas supplies are _supposed_ to be essentially dry; it's an insurance policy for the inevitable case where for some reason some moisture is introduced into the system by whatever means; could be as simple as having to opened the system somewhere else for maintenance.

Here, where many rural residences are on direct wellhead taps or a tap off of a collection line, it's a much bigger issue than "the gas company" commercial distribution most are undoubtedly thinking of, but still "stuff happens" even with them.

Reply to
dpb

Correct. Instead of an elbow at 90 degree turn, they use a Tee and the bottom has a short nipple and cap. Traps anything moving in the pipe, liquid or solid.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I take it someone has to milk the nipple every so often.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

No, I've take them apart after years and found a little dust. Even on industrial with 4" feed.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So it wasn't really necessary to have it there.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

On 4/29/2018 8:36 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote: ...

Insurance is only necessary after the fire, too...

Reply to
dpb

Insurance is a con. Remember, insurance companies make a profit....

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

But it's not likely to happen. Look at the odds. What percentage of the value of your house do you pay to the insurance company? Now on average they make a profit, so the chances of actually needing a full payout must be virtually nothing.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

Besides, why would you take financial advice from a moronic, nym-shifting troll?

Reply to
Huge

Why are you arguing with a troll?

Reply to
Huge

Also gambling, where the only way to win is to lose.

Reply to
Sam E

Applause!

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

More applause!

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Why don't you use your killfile?

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife

But it will probably never happen. For the same reason I never buy a lottery ticket, I understand odds.

Reply to
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife