Frozen gas pipes?!

I just spotted a "What to do if your gas pipes are frozen" on my electricity/gas supply company's website (EDF).
Remind me, at what temperature does methane freeze?
--
Why is the front of an aeroplane called a cockpit?
If you have female pilots do you call it a pussypit?
On 26/04/2018 15:13, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

A lot lower than the moisture in it.

Colin Bignell

Should there be moisture in it?
--
For centuries, the English have had a love affair with all types of hunting. Early one morning, a fellow was blasting away at a clump of brush on a grouse hunt.
Suddenly an outraged gentleman appeared and said "See here old man, you almost shot my wife with that volley."
On 26/04/2018 17:06, Nightjar wrote:

How much moisture is there in the gas supply? Are we talking about hours to ice up a pipe, or months?
On 04/27/2018 07:13 AM, GB wrote:

I had a NG regulator (before the meter) freeze and stop the flow of NG.  Fix was to slowly pour hot water over it.
We had a new subdevelopment in my area.
The main gas line had a sag in it where water accumulated. Yes, it froze the first winter and shut off the gas.
The water was mostly leftover condensation from the construction process. After a few freezeups the first year it settled down. Apparently gas is usually dry enough.

Doesn't the water gradually evaporate and come through with the gas into everyone's cooker/boiler? (Unless there's a continual supply of more water, which there shouldn't be).
--
Cashtration (n.): The act of buying a house, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period.

On 27/04/2018 12:13, GB wrote:

No idea. I only know that some is expected.

Colin Bignell
On 4/26/2018 10:13 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Water can get into gas pipes and accumulate in low spots. Just as piping has a drip let at vertical elbows.

How does it let water out but not gas?
--
Man who walk through turnstyle sideways going to bangkok!

On 4/28/2018 11:49 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

I'm pretty sure Ed meant "leg" not "let"; it's just a collection point that keeps the condensate/entrained water have a place to go out of the main line into the appliance; not an automatic outlet.
And, yes, gas supplies are _supposed_ to be essentially dry; it's an insurance policy for the inevitable case where for some reason some moisture is introduced into the system by whatever means; could be as simple as having to opened the system somewhere else for maintenance.
Here, where many rural residences are on direct wellhead taps or a tap off of a collection line, it's a much bigger issue than "the gas company" commercial distribution most are undoubtedly thinking of, but still "stuff happens" even with them.
On 4/28/2018 2:01 PM, dpb wrote:

Correct. Instead of an elbow at 90 degree turn, they use a Tee and the bottom has a short nipple and cap. Traps anything moving in the pipe, liquid or solid.

I take it someone has to milk the nipple every so often.
--
If only women came with pull-down menus and on-line help.

On 4/29/2018 8:31 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

No, I've take them apart after years and found a little dust. Even on industrial with 4" feed.

So it wasn't really necessary to have it there.
--
"Oh, Jason, take me!" she panted, her breasts heaving like a student on 31p-a-pint night.

On 4/29/2018 8:36 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote: ...

Insurance is only necessary after the fire, too...

Insurance is a con. Remember, insurance companies make a profit....
--
Six stages of married life:
1: Tri-weekly

But it's not likely to happen. Look at the odds. What percentage of the value of your house do you pay to the insurance company? Now on average they make a profit, so the chances of actually needing a full payout must be virtually nothing.
--
Mary's lamb had foot and mouth.
The vet he came and shot it.

Why are you arguing with a troll?
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 46th day of Discord in the YOLD 3184
Huge wrote:

Applause!