Framing enclosed stair

I am in the latter part of the planning stages for a bonus room addition above my garage. There will be an enclosed stairway from the first floor of the living space that goes to the bonus room through the garage. The outermost wall will not extend to the garage floor, but will stop at the bottom of the underside of the stair stringers. My question is, how is this wall anchored to the stair stringers and to the ceiling framing so that it does not pull apart from stair loads? I have several textbooks that detail lots of different framing scenarios, but none of them cover this one. Any information, links or book references would be very helpful, as I have been unsuccessful in my search so far.

Thanks in advance, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man

The problem may be that you are designing this yourself without any formal architectural training. Works fine for small simple projects like storage sheds, but in this case you likely will be better off with a set of professional plans. Two compelling reasons are, the plans give you the details needed to do the job, and more important, you will have to have them to pull a permit to do the work unless you live in a cabin on the Upper Yukon. Might same you some money and time. Good luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

While your assumption that I've had no formal architectural training is correct, I do have formal training in engineering, and have a good understanding of the loads involved. It is a simple matter to design something for this situation, but I was looking for the common solution rather than reinventing the wheel, so to speak. As it happens, my carpenter stopped by yesterday to give me his bid for the job, and he explained to me how it is commonly done.

BTW, you do not need plans to obtain a permit here (SC). I know this because I took a set with me to get the permit today, and I was never asked to show them to anyone. They are only interested in estimating the amount by which the property taxes can be increased once the job is completed. I suppose they are secondarily concerned with enforcing building codes, but I saw little evidence to support this.

Regards, John.

Reply to
the_tool_man

Seems like your project is off to a good start. It's hard to beat practical knowledge when a job develops baffling parameters. Hope it continues to go smoothly.

Joe

Reply to
Joe