~FOLLOW UP-increase wattage

I recently posted a question about increasing the wattage of bulbs installed in a ceiling fixture. A lot of the answers said to use florescent bulbs (more light while using less watts). I've tried to use these bulb-type florescent lights. They don't work outside, they're supposed to be used vertically, they don't fit inside most of the harps used for lampshades, etc.. Where/when I can use them is great, but I bought a pack of four or five of them at Sam's, and they're still in the closet, not used. They're too damn big to fit most of the applications that I purchased them for.l

Reply to
TOM KAN PA

I said that, among others.

You didn't say it was outside; as I recall all you said was a ceiling fixture. I use fluoros on outside porches in a cold climate, and while they don't get as bright when the weather is cold (say less than 5-10 degrees F), and are especially dimmer when first turned on, they work fine otherwise. I have two brands -- one says "indoors only", the other says outdoors only if in an enclosed fixture. At any rate you can buy special CFLs rated for colder temps and potentially wet installations.

Mine do not list this requirement.

Mine are coil-type compacts that are actually smaller than typical lightbulbs, and have no problem fitting in any fixture I've tried them with.

Where/when I can

If you look around there's special equipment available that lets you switch to fluorescents (proper recessed cans, dimmer switches, timers, etc.). But I've found that they work just fine in many, many applications, so I'm mystified why you've had so much trouble.

Dan Hartung