Follow-up, Battery Charger....it works

Not around here. Virtually all rentals are automatic - if anything you would pay more for a "stick" because it would be a specialty performance vehicle here. You must be in Britain or samewhere like that.

Reply to
clare

I'll bear that in mind and not assume it will be cheaper.

When I travel. The last car I got was a tiny FIAT - I can't remember the model --, smaller than anything that was sold in the US up to 5 or

10 years ago. It did carry 4 people and have a small area for hiding luggage, and it had power windows!.
Reply to
Micky

Stick is cheaper in Europe. They get a hefty premium for automatics and for anything larger than a sardine can. In the US, I've never seen anything other than an automatic rental, but they may exist.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I bet that 90% of the people in the US much under 40 can not drive a stick unless they have lived on a farm. Very few people have them now and they do not have them in the drivers ed at school.

North Carolina was talking about doing away with DE in schools. Not sure if they did or not. Foolish thing if they do. They will save a few bucks and open the doors for more accidents due to unskiled drivers.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I've never owned a stick and my parents didn't since I was born, but I read in a book how to drive one, and memorized it. Then a friend was going to use his car on a trip we were taking, but he couldn't leave unt il a few days later, so he took two of us out and taught us how to drive his stick. We were going from Chicago to Pittsburgh, only 3 traffic lights at each end, so he said we wouldn't have to shift much, and he was right.

Just found out a week ago that Md. or maybe Baltimore or Baltimore County did do away with it a few years ago, but they're bringing it back, starting this year or last year.

Reply to
Micky