Foam-in Insulation and Wiring

I'm considering getting the walls of my 1950-ish house insulated, and am leaning towards having a contractor inject foam.

My worry is the wiring. As I see it, there just won't be any way of getting additional wiring into the walls after insulating, so I'd better get the wiring updated first.

This "old-work" wiring will include adding more outlets and circuits and updating (grounding) old circuits, with minimal sheetrock invasion. But this leaves the various cables hanging rather loosely in the wall cavities, as I won't be able to get in and staple them to the studs.

If I go the foam route, I'm assuming that the contractor will be cutting some sort of access hole high up on the wall, and then putting some sort of injection hose through that opening, and down nearly to the floor-level, and then raising it slowly as the foam is injected, to ensure that there are minimal voids afterward.

So my question is, will the foaming process put any kind of stresses on my new wiring?

Other considerations?

Reply to
croy

*I suggest talking to the insulation contractor about his installation technique. He has the most experience with this. I personally don't see a problem with the wiring except that maybe some foam will expand into the outlet box. You are correct about it being difficult to fish wires after the foam has been installed.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Maybe you should keep quiet on topics you have no knowledge.

Does the NEC have derating for insulation? If there a significant record of fires caused by insulation around electrical?

Yes, what a devastating source. I found out each of my receptacles has about one chance in 2,000,000 of causing a fire each year. I am going to remove half of them immediately.

And your specific is what?

Reply to
bud--