Flushing a hot water tank

The water enters the tank via the 'dip tube' that ends near the bottom of the tank. 'Blasting' the stuff by turning on the water (several times) is my technique. It may not break loose encrustations but it isn't going to hurt.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Well, I haven't done this in quite a few years - like 8. I'm thinking that even if I open it up I won't get a good purge of any sediment build-up. What do you all think of the usefulness of this plan; with the electricity off, of course, drain the tank via hose to the outside with the cold water feed off. When the tank is emptied, turn on the cold water supply to stir the sediment (I don't know where the water actually enters the tank) and flush more of it to the exit hose. So, will it work?? TIA

Reply to
C & M

Been discussed many, many times (and with many opinions).

Do an ADVANCED search on this newsgroup for: water heater draining or something similar.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Done it one one that was snapping and popping due to steam bubbles escaping from a thick sediment layer and collapsing in the coler water. I tried the flush, but it didn't help. Afgter draining, before installing the new heater, I dropped a light through the inlet hole and looked in the other one. There was a somewhat clear spot in the sediment near the drain port, and another near the dip tube from the water rushing in.

After replacement, I cut open the old heater, and found a sediment layer about 4" deep.

There just isn't enough cross flow to wash the stuff out. I figure I could get a thorough flush by:

  1. Remove the drain valve
  2. Tip the heater so the drain is lower than everything else.
  3. Insert a spray tube through one of the pipe connection holes so you can guide the water stream around the bottom of the tank, to scrub the sediment off and make it fall down to the outlet.

The stuff I removed from the old heater had the consistency of sand, so it's not just going to float off to the outlet by merely opening the drain.

Doug Warner