flexibale natural gas lines

greetings, i will be installing a new gas stove in out kitchen which means that i will have to pipe over some natural gas. i am considering connecting 3 five foot lenghts of the flexibale gas lines i can purchase at home depot instead of paying someone to hardpipe (?) it. i have a connection in my gas line before it gets to the furnace that i want to tap into. the connection has a threaded plug. does this seem like a good idea? any possible code violations? what kind of thread sealant should i use? stuff in a tube of the nylon tape stuff? thanks cj

Reply to
cj

It is absolutely a code violation here in Delaware to do any gas plumbing. It can also void an insurance claim if it causes a fire. Be safe. Call your gas company. Frank

Reply to
Frank K.

Salutations. Does that possible tapping point drop down from the supply pipe? Could be a "mud" leg (a place for impurities to be deposited). Rethink your consideration not to pay to have it done correctly. Running three five-foot flexible connectors is _not_ the way to get the gas to where you need it. Code violations? You betcha. Tom

Reply to
tom

code will vary depending on your location, BUT... this is a VERY bad idea even if for some reason it isn't against the code. If you were to do this, I strongly suspect that you and your family would soon become an unfortunate example for the local authorities to update the codes.

Just hard pipe the job the way it should be done, please. It'd be a shame to read about this in the news.

Reply to
louie

It really isn't all that hard to do it the right way with the appropriate hard pipe. But given your inclination to just use flex pipe, I'd say just pay someone to do it right instead.

Reply to
scott21230

those flexoble lines should never been run thru a floor or wall, too easy to puncture.

do it right or hire someone

Reply to
hallerb

Figure out what pipe and fittings you need - go to a big box store and do it. Do not use teflon tape on the joints and most places require black pipe. Have moved many times around the country and have had to add new lines for gas drier and grills - not a one failed housing inspections.

If you run flex through a wall/floor - that is asking for trouble.

Reply to
butch burton

We just had a pro redo some of our gas, and all the new lines he put in are the flexible kind.

Reply to
Chris

There's a big difference between flexible gas pipe (corrugated stainless steel) that can be used in place of rigid pipe, and flexible gas appliance connectors that should only be used between the appliance shut-off valve and the appliance.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

But they still can't pass thru a floor without a proper fitting that is made for that purpose.

The OP is talking about coupling appliance lines together not using flexible service lines designed for that use.

Reply to
George

Reply to
Ed B