Flat Top Stove

Hey all. Just a general question about Flat Top stoves with hidden burners. I had my house built in 97. My wife and I were looking at Flat Top stoves to replace the gas one we currently have. Seeing that all these stoves are 220 and I only have a 110 out let where the stove is at, what would the approximate cost be to install a 220 circuit to accomodate this type of stove?

TIA

Reply to
Rick

You must speak with an electrician in your town.

Reply to
Stubby

No one in a newsgroup can tell you this. Get an electrician to come to your home. They probably won't charge you for an estimate.

Reply to
Bob

The cost of putting a 40-50 amp circuit breaker in in electic panel (if space avaialable) and running #10 cable to stove area and the connection outlet plus the cost of labor involved unless you know what your doing and YDIY,

Reply to
tinacci336

Side issue: Have you thoroughly investigated whether your utensils can be used with one of these cooktops? You might need to factor in some more money.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

You really need a couple of estimates from local electricians.

You need to run a cable from the breaker panel to a location at the stove and either install the correct socket or a box to hardwire the stove. The breaker for 220 v requires two positions in the panel so check you have the space, otherwise you need to upgrade the panel.

Materials should run less than maybe $50 depending on the length of cable required.

It could be anything from 1 hour labor up to maybe 4 hours. (depends on how the wiring can be run.)

Reply to
marks542004

Why would you want to switch from a gas stove to an electric one? If I had to cook with electric there would be very few home cooked meals in this house!

Liz

Reply to
Liz

If it's an induction top, they're much safer. The actual cook-top produces no heat. When it's turned on, a coil underneath the surfaces generates a magnetic field. Anything (like your hand) that a magnet won't stick to will not turn it on.

Reply to
Bob

Think twice. You can't use cast iron on the flat top electrics with hidden burners.

I have had experience with the flat tops, and would not trade them for my gas stove top.

Reply to
bud smith

The newer gas stoves with sealed burners are pretty easy to clean. Bought/ installed mine 2 yrs ago and happy with it. But if you're determined to go flat top, better follow advice above.

Reply to
Sev

me too

Reply to
MikeP

On Wed 11 Jan 2006 09:24:50p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it bud smith?

Yes, you can, but they have to have flat bottoms.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Well said.

Reply to
CJT

Yeah asshole..... Word of advice....Don't quit your day job if you have one!

Reply to
Rick

Exactly WHAT is your problem with the statements I made, meat sock?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Personally, I didn't think there was anything wrong with your statement. I thought you were just trying to give the OP a heads-up.

Reply to
Bob

I suspect Ricky is in a mood because the double wide is leaking again, right onto the TV set, and he's gonna miss the Jerry Springer show today. His sister's gonna be on the show, along with the family goat, who has issues with sis' fidelity.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

That may be fine if all you want out of a cooktop is safety. Personally, I 'm more interested in precise heat control as I cook. You just don't get that with an electric range. If you watch any of the TV cooking shows you'll see that gas is the choice of the chefs.

Liz

Reply to
Liz

I recommend the person find someone local with a flattop and borrow its use to make a meal before commiting to buy one...

of course I ALWAYS RENT a vehicle of the model I want efore buying just to see what its like.

cheap week test drive while on vacation!

Reply to
hallerb

Bad hair day? Or you don't really want advice?

Reply to
CJT