Fire starting candles - what are they called.

I had a box of these candles that you place under the wood you are trying to get started burning for a fire. Campfires, fireplaces etc. They look like tea lights but the entire thing burns up even the wax and the wax paper covering. They make a very hot flame unlike some of the other fire starting products and last about 10 minutes or so. Anyone know what these things are called?

Reply to
poison_1024

Hexamine? Used to cook with them in the forces.

Reply to
Aardvark

Aardvark wrote in news:xYtrj.5449$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe6-win.ntli.net:

Dunno, but I googled and found this site that tells you all this stuff to use. It's sort of interesting.

Noahbuddy

good old common road flares are about as good as it gets in starting a camp fire....

Reply to
news

poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news:59d9c2c1-4225-40d9-8732- snipped-for-privacy@l1g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

pinecones work very well. they're full of turpentine.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Noahbuddy wrote in news:47ae77ca$0$22072$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

on the last Survivor TV episode,Yau-man used his glasses with a drop of water on a lens as a magnifier to start a fire on their first day. He lit coconut fiber for a starter.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

There are a lot of pine cones where I live. I know people who keep a bunch around for starting fires.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd