Fire blocking code references

A friend of mine had some rehab work done on a one-story single-family ranch-style home, and the local inspector cited some "fire blocking" issues. My understanding is that the actual citation was for "not fireblocking all penetrations of wires, ducts and plumbing". I think it was in reference to where the wires, ducts, and plumbing go through the ceiling and into the attic space, but I am not sure. This makes sense to me, since I assume the point is to prevent a fire from spreading from the living area into the attic space and roof area.

Is there any particular type or brand caulk etc. that is usually used to seal these openings and meet the code requirements? If some of the openings are too large for caulk, are there other techniques that are used to seal the openings and meet the code requirements?

And, just out of curiosity, my friend was trying to find where he could read the actual building, fire, or construction code citations about this to see what they say. He was looking at the International Residential Code (IRC) but couldn't find it there. Can anyone point out any actual code citations about this that I could pass on to him from the IRC, or National Electrical Code, or International Plumbing Code, or wherever? He (like me) likes to see the actual code references to see what they say, but we are having a hard time locating the specific code citations.

Thanks.

Reply to
RogerT

That but more importantly to starve any fire (in the walls) of air. ___________

Maybe/probably foam, glass or mineral wool; maybe mortar(?). __________________

Google..." building code"

Reply to
dadiOH

When last looking for caulk at HD I noticed there were ones specifically rated for fire blocking applications. Also, I think they had expanding foam type products too. But the best source for what to use and where I would start is the inspector who apparently had issues and cited it. Whatever we think or even what some code book says is almost always trumped by the actual inspector. And this is one of those things that is a lot easier to do right the first time than do over.

Reply to
trader4

They carry a large array of firestop products.

Reply to
PV

*Home Depot sells firestop caulk in 1 hour, 2 hour and 3 hour ratings and each one is a different color for identification by an inspector. For larger holes I fill in with mineral wool insulation and then cover with 3 hour firestop caulk. You could also use cement on its own as was done many moons ago. For big openings, a layer or two of 5/8" drywall should do it.

I don't know which code book the firestop requirements are in, but there is not much on the subject in the NEC. Contact your building department for a reference since your city and state may also have their own requirements.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Misattributed a.. Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever. a.. Fictional attribution in the movie The Emperor's Club (2002), given by Kevin Kline (as William Hundert);[2] also attributed to Diogenes, without sources;[3] no published occurrences of this statement prior to the movie have been located in any of the Aristophanes Plays or Fragments.

Robert Green

Penetration fire protection becomes a listed assembly and U/L has a bunch of approved one. Just squirting some caulk in the hole is not a listed assembly.

Here is a movie from U/L about fire stopping but be sure your AHJ is not mis speaking and he really wants draft stopping. Usually that is all you need in a residence unless you are above a garage.,

gfretwell

Thanks. Someone on another forum (non-Usenet) posted this information:

"I believe NJ follows the 2009 International Residential Code (IRC) New Jersey Edition for single family residential dwellings like you are describing. Fireblocking is covered in Section R302.11. Of course local Townships often put their own spin on the requirements and at the end of the day, just like judges in landlord/tenant court, it is often the inspector's interpretation of the code that becomes "law" for that particular project/jurisdiction.

Here is a link to the 2009 IRC-NJ for your reading pleasure:

".WhenI read that section of the code, it pretty much spells it all out. Italso includes information about what materials can be used for fireblockingetc.

Reply to
RogerT

".When

Let me try that link again: