filling 1/2" holes in drywall below baseline

I have about 130 1/2" diameter holes to fill in my drywall. They were drilled through the entire thickness of the drywall to facilitate drying by a professional water damage company I hired to dry the sheetrock when it got a little wet from a clean water leak I had in my home. The holes are all below the baseline (the area covered by the baseboard). I am thinking of filling them myself. They need to be sanded flat so the baseboard goes on smoothly, but they don't need to be painted over or perfect-looking since they will be covered by baseboard. They do need to dry completely, and be resistant to future moisture!

The sheetrock in question is the original drywall used when the building was constructed in about 1976, if that makes any difference.

Questions: What to use? Patching compound, joint compound, setting compound? Something else? I haven't been able to find out exactly what makes these products different from each other. (Altho, from what I've been reading, I understand joint compound won't adhere to the core of the drywall.) Specific product recommendations welcome.

Technique to use? Is there a good product to use that will fill these size holes without having to add any support material? Do I need to stuff a little piece of mesh in the hole? Do I need to worry about the depth to which I fill the hole?

Any other insights welcome!!! Thanks, Marnie

Reply to
marnie_jean

Why fill them if they are covered by the baseboard?

If they need to be filled then just use joint compound, put it on in two passes, just be sure to let the first dry completely.

Searcher

Reply to
Shopdog

Am I missing something? Why bother filling them if they'll be covered by base?

Reply to
3rd eye

I wouldn't patch them since they will be covered by the baseboard.

As for the differences in the products mentioned-

I'm not sure what "patching compound" is but ready mix joint compound requires the water to evaporate out for it to dry and can be affected by temperature and/or humidity so drying time varies. It's probably the most common product on the market.

Setting compound is typically a dry powder that you mix with water when needed and it sets in a specific amount of time (give or take a few minutes, depending on the quality of water). The bag will say what the setting period is, such as 20 minute, 45 minute, and 90 minute.Drying time is unaffected by temperature or humidity. They are sometimes called "hot mud".

Either product will adhere to the "core" of the drywall.

Reply to
jgb