Fed up about cars ending up in yard because of driving too fast

On 11/30/2004 12:14 PM US(ET), snipped-for-privacy@uri.edu took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Not only that, but the local laws would probably make you put up signs with the red skull and crossbones and the words, "Achtung!" "Minen", all over the lawn.

Reply to
willshak

There are worse things than being sued -- that's why you have liability insurance. Just make sure that your barrier is on your property and not on the ROW. If some idiot does sue you, your insurance company will eat them for lunch.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Reply to
William Brown

At the very least, send the responsible entity (city or state) a bill for having a professional repair the landscape each time it happens.

BB

Reply to
BinaryBillTheSailor

The intent would be to protect your family from reckless drivers. Keep the barrier off of the ROW and take minimal precautions to not make it dangerous and there should be no liability issues at all.

Actually, just don't make it intentionally more dangerous than necessary should be enough to avoid liability. For example, iron spikes sticking

3 feet out of the the ground at a 20 degree angle and point at the road might not be a good idea, nor would the Claymore mines someone else mentioned.

The reason the city has to be so careful about the barriers they put up is because their barriers on in the ROW. Your barrier will not be.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

would a blinking solar powered yellow light be legal to install in your yard, with a reflector so it only shines towards the road and not towards the house?

also, is there a gravel build up on the curve in the road contributing to the problem that could be addressed?

could you legally install an internet cam so it can be seen real time?

Reply to
effi

A fence is probably okay if you meet your local codes, but landscaping may be a better idea. A berm, topped with significant shrubbery, will stop cars and is likely legal to have closer to the road than a fence (check you local codes though).

Though I like the parking charge idea... :)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

Get some big landscape rocks and install them where the cars enter your lawn. After a few cars get torn up it will stop.

Reply to
Bob

if someone does get stuck in your yard, but a lean on the car and insist it stays on your property until all damage is paided if that is possible.

Reply to
MC

around here the landowner does not own or pay taxes on any ROW which is owned and maintained by the local goverement body that has the ROW. IF a tree has to come down then it is their problem. I cut the grass on my part of the ROW but others on the street lets theirs goes until the county comes by and cuts the ROW. Not sure how that works elsewhere ?

Reply to
MC

Yeah, and nothing left of anyone to sue you either

Reply to
MC

No good around here, has to be multiple fatalities before any traffic safty device is implemented

Reply to
MC

On 12/1/2004 1:03 AM US(ET), MC took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Basically the same everywhere. My property stakes are about 10' from the roadway, and the local authorities will let you do certain things between the stakes and the roadway, like extending your driveway or sidewalk to the road, or putting up a mailbox next to the road, or planting grass or flowers. They retain the right to do anything they want within that 10' area without the homeowners permission, like removing trees, bushes, obstructions, etc., regrading, digging trenches, installing pipes, gang mowing, and even plow snow back across the front of your freshly cleaned driveway. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Probably. If a burglar can sue you after you shoot him for breaking in to your house, anyone can sue for anything.

You can spend a lifetime fighting the town and spending thousands on lawyers, or take the easy way out. Move.

Reply to
Mark

Hmmm. Rocks that are maybe just a foot high or so? Just enough to disable the vehicle when it plows over them, but not stop the vehicle like a brick wall. This way, the homeowner will get to confront the driver and get the police involved. The driver's insurance foots the bill on the yard damage.

I'd still rater just move if this happens all the time. Too much frustration dealing with having a new lawn put in all the time - even if it is free.

Reply to
Mark

Excuse me for butting in...my mother has a similar problem. People coming around the corner shortcut it and run up into and through her yard [lazy ignorant imbeciles]. They've done it for years -- even school buses! A cheap fix, though not 100% cure, was to sink many pieces of rebar into the ground in the area vehicles drive over. This is usually good for a nice-sized hole in a tired or two -- maybe even some tire rim damage. Believe me, word gets around the neighborhood fairly quickly to refrain from future attempts. Of course, lawnmowing habits have to be adjusted in the area to avoid ruining mower blades.

Reply to
debi

Follow up to my post about the guy in town with the problem. Remember down hill turn people winding up in the guys yard. Well the town dads in all their wisdom put a STOP sign on the downhill corner. Good solution? Well it was pointed out to them that the reason people were going into the yard was the road got slick and people weren't able to slow down (it is about a 10% grade). No, no, it'll fix it...yeah right. Yesterday we had the first snowfall, slick roads, guy took out the fence that was just erected last summer and several rear enders from cars that couldn't stop before plowing into cars that did stop at the sign. Never underestimate the stupidity of the rulers. Before the snow I had pointed out to one of the town dads that it was a mistake. At that time he was all for it. Today I talked to him and he's blaming it on the city engineer.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

This is Turtle.

I had a uncle that had the same problem with car coming up in his front yard and cutting up the yard and cutting deep rutts in the yard . He check out the laws on building a car stop to keep car off your property in the state of Texas and Louisiana. Both states have law on this but what make the laws and you getting sued for it is this. Put a row of rail road rail steel angled back toward the house in a row all the way across the frontage. then back 5 feet toward the house put a row of rail road rail steel straight up. Put all the rails in concrete and put a potted plant on top of everyone. they are called potted plant holders to have growing plants in. If you don't call them a car stop, you can not be sued for having them for they are yard plant holders for the look of the house. It would be the same as a bird bath in the front yard and want to sue you for running over it.

Now you will not have to worry about cars getting to your house for the first row slows the car down and the second row stops the cars. When they land there they don't drive off for you have to get a wrecker to lift the car off the rails and if you pull the car off them Half the car stays there and the other half goes with the wrecker. You just don't drive through your yard and drive off with out a wrecker to come get it. also if a wrecker operator see's the damage on the car he is suppose to call the law to write it up and have his insurance company to replace your potted plant holders and also landscape the yard where the car went. My uncle was having about 6 to 8 a year coming up in his yard by missing the turn off at the end of the road. he put the rails in and he had 3 in 2 months hit the rails and he had them there for another 15 years and only had 2 more hit them in 15 years. The drunks and speeders learn where your trap is and know to slow down for that turn or your insurance company may drop you.

Now one thing here to do and check it out to be right and that is have your rails on your land and not city or state property. City -- they own the first 10 feet from the street. State has different foot amounts from the road and find this out and have your rails on your property for sure. All the drunks, Here Hold my beer, and watch this types, and speeders started call his turn '' Steel Turn ''. The only ones he would get is the new drunks and speeders in town.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

willshak wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Yup, same thing here. We can't put anything within that 10 feet or we get in trouble. Yet we're responsible for maintaining it.

Reply to
TaskProperties

Got any friends in the military? See if they can get you some "Land Mines". Install the land mines on your own property, right at the curve. If a car lands on your property, it won't last long, and will be blown to shreads. After the police remove the bodily remains, you can collect the pieces of metal and sell them for scrap, . The cost of steel is high right now, so you should come out ahead to pay for the cost of lawn damage. The other plus of this method is that you just got another careless driver off the road, possibly saving someone else's life.

Reply to
GoOgLe