Exterior Paint/ Behr Premium Plus "Ultra" ?

That's hardly an argument for a thermal expansion difference being a root cause... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Art wrote: ...

"Mismatched" primer could mean a lot of things, but differing expansion rates is hardly one of them, I think. I did quite a bit of googling at several major paint manufacturers' sites on their specifications and didn't find the subject even mentioned in any of their application guides or technical literature.

As for latex over oil, from Sherwin-Williams' site and their A-100 paints -- their best exterior line...

SPECIFICATIONS ... Wood, Composition Board

1 ct. A-100 Oil Exterior Stain Blocking Primer 2 cts. A-100 Exterior Latex Flat ...

SURFACE PREPARATION ... Wood, Plywood, Composition Board Sand any exposed wood to a fresh surface. Patch all holes and imperfections with a wood filler or putty and sand smooth. All patched areas must be primed. ...

Hardly seems they would recommend/specify an oil-based primer to go under the best exterior latex paint they sell if the two were of such a differing expansion rate as to make the two surfaces move with respect to each other and fail, does it...

I conclude what you've heard/read is a fallacy or some kernel of truth taken out of whatever context it may have initially referred to and misapplied as a general tenet...

--

Reply to
dpb

Not hard to comprehend at all and nothing to come to grips with. I do completely understand costs associated with manufacturing. We are talking about the same thing but looking at it a different way.

In manufacturing you know the cost of doing everything. As you described when branding is involved there is additional overhead which needs to be considered.

There's more to production

Actually no, if you are a manufacturer you know the cost of every aspect of your process. If you are making non branded product under contract you use a lower overhead number than you would if were running branded product. My example was simply based on the lower number.

That's why the cost of producing a generic item is

Typically outfits like Walmart beat you up on price and are not so concerned about specifying how you do it. Say you make a canned food product. They simply demand that you make it for a certain price (and less each time they place the order). Its up to you to figure out how to do it.

In the case of the pet foods some of the other reputable manufacturers (Heinz as an example) went out of that business because they didn't want to lower their quality any further to meet the big box store price point.

Exactly, you add in whatever additional cost is associated with the brand. One brand may offer a significantly better warranty or do extensive marketing.

Reply to
George

I don't know, but the pies and baked goods from Sams Club and Costco that I've had have been better than the pies from any of the local supermarkets and many of the local bakeries too. Which is not to say you don't have a point, which is that the product produced for Costco may not be the same as that produced for other markets. But in many cases, I think they are the same. For example, when I was looking for a TV 5 years ago, Costco had Toshiba models that had the exact same specs and looked identical to the ones sold in other stores. The model numbers were the same except for two letters and that specific model couldn;'t be found anywhere else. Also, those 2 letters were different on all the Costco Toshibas. Most likely the TV was identical, but they put a slightly different designator on it to protect their other channels so you can't tell for sure it's identical.

Reply to
trader4