extension cord for 230 volt air conditioner??

hmm, ripping out a custom-made bookcase, spending $500 on an electrician, more on a carpenter for a $400 A/C unit?? don't think so. I'll take the risk of snaking a 1/2 inch wire through what will soon become a 3 inch hole.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
higgins

well even a pricey electrician shouldnt charge 500 bucks to add a outlet, and its probably not necessary to remove the bookcase either. run new line from main panel or grab it somewhere along the line add workbox and go to new location........

you spent 400 bucks on the AC less than that you can install a proper outlet.

Reply to
hallerb

For a 240V. Unit, make sure you use a plug and receptacle set that is rated for 240V. The NEMA plugs rated for 120V might appear to work just fine, but the spacing between conductor prongs and terminals is not suitable for a 240V. circuit and presents a fire hazard.

Also, on a related note.

I used to know a college professor that cheaped out when he wired his home 240V. window air conditioner with 120V plugs on a 240V. circuit. His wife couldn't figure out why the vacuum cleaner exploded one day when she borrowed the outlet.

I agree with the posters that say relocate the receptacle, ditch the extension cords and do it right. You are not doing this for a $400 appliance - You are making an investment in the safety of your home and family.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Telling one on myself...

Some 53 years ago my dorm roomate schlepped in a 230 volt air conditioner and we managed to get it cooling our room because the adjacent dorm room had its 115 volt recepticals wired to the opposite side of the building's 230 volt line. A single conductor out our window and into the next room took care of getting us a "total" of 230 volts.

Don't try that at home guys, only crazy EE college students could pull it off.

Thanks for the mammaries...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Nice one. I would have at least run a full cord from each to a junction box.

As for the whole extension cord thing, I'm constantly amazed at the ignorance and paranoia about extension cords. Properly sized, constructed and applied they are 100% as safe as the wiring in the walls of your home. This ain't magic guys.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.