Ever get ill after using a line-trimmer?

I *did* have a machete with me on these recent trips, but with a blade that short, you have to do a lot of bending over to reach things.

I'm thinking about getting one of those brush blades next time I'm at HomeDepot.

I don't think they carry scythes.

Reply to
ShadowTek

I'm wasn't really cutting "grass", more like large stalky weeds.

I saw those things in a catalog and wondered about their performance.

I guess I should get some and keep them for over-grown jobs like that.

Reply to
ShadowTek

I've never used Outlook, but it sounds like you would be better off with a different client if it doesn't provide yout with the ability to easily go back and see for yourself.

Anyway, I *am* this thread's OP, but I wasn't asking for advice on how to handle dust. I was just curious to know if the experiance that I had was at all common.

Reply to
ShadowTek

I'm probably remembering the names wrong. Kinda like Death carries in all the cartoons, but with a curving handle to save your back. I've even seen them with arms sticking out of the handle, to catch the tall stuff as you cut it, so you can continue the swinging motion, and move it all behind you as you go. Like the things they used to have chain gangs use to clear weeds in road ditches.

I agree about machetes. They look cool in old movies, but in real life, after ten minutes, you are sore all over. (Unless that is what you do for a living every day, of course.)

A farm store may have better selection of tools like that than HD or Lowes. Leastways the handles will probably be longer.

(Googles). Didn't find scythes, but several places had the golf-club looking things I used as a kid, with the long razor-sharp blade sticking out. Handles are always absurdly short on those for some reason- only

40" or so. I suppose you could always fit a longer handle. Here is an example.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

My former neighbor used to wear a respirator when mowing the lawn due to allergy problems.

Reply to
Bob F

getting yourself a

Chop it low, and use

cartoons, but with a

of the handle, to

and move it all

clear weeds in road

ten minutes, you are

Leastways the handles

things I used as a

short on those for

Here is an example.

Can I throw in a short rant here? I recently bought a grass trimmer very similar to the one in the photo you linked. Why the f**** do all the ones available now seem to have serrated blades? They don't cut very well when they're new (because of poor build quality) and you can't sharpen them! When I was a kid we had one with a regular blade, it cut well and when it didn't you could easily sharpen it.

I suppose with a grinder and enough time, you could modify it from a serrated to a regular blade...

Eric Law

Reply to
Eric

things I used as a

absurdly short on those for

Here is an example.

similar to the one in the

serrated blades? They

can't sharpen them!

didn't you could easily

to a regular blade...

A serrated edge is supposed to work more efficiently on a grass whip. The standard method is to clamp the blade in a vise and file the bevel. I once tried that with a rusty one I found in a shed. It still wouldn't cut.

I've read that buyers of name-brand whips experience the same frustration because they come with lacquer on the edge. One buyer was very pleased with his whip after cleaning the edge with a 3/16" hone in a dremel tool.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

I just this year started wearing a particle mask when I mow the lawn in the summer. Makes a BIG difference in the way I feel afterwards, along the lines of the effect you get the first time you wear hearing protection while mowing.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

Wish I'd worn hearing protection mowing lawns as a kid, and on the construction sites during my teenage years. I might have a little more of my hearing left. I was never into rock'n'roll concerts and never had a high-power stereo, so those are the only damaging exposures I had. But other than the jackhammer guys, nobody wore them back then. I wear muffs using any power equipment now, funny looks from the neighbors be damned. I want to hold on to what little hearing I have left.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I always wear earplugs when I mow, trim, hit a nail with a hammer, or anything else that seems uncomfortable. If have sensitive hearing, and I enjoy still being able to hearing failt sounds off in the distance that other people can't.

Reply to
ShadowTek

When I got my hearing aids, I walked out, and was amazed at how loud the birds were. At night I could hear crickets. And other little sounds. Like aemerijers, I wish I had taken more care, but in a lot of the situations I worked, hearing protection would have been a hindrance, as one had to listen to some of the sounds and other workmen. My hearing is very bad.

My exposures were very loud machinery, all manner of things. Compressors, needle scalers, compressed air tools, and industrial diving. In training, we used to blow down to 200' in 40 seconds. That has to toughen up the eardrums after a time. And then all the other up and down trips in up to

305' of water.

If I had it to do over, I'd do it different. I would stay in college, and probably been a liberal.

Maybe being hard of hearing isn't so bad after all.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

It is common sense that every one's respiratory system is stronger or weake r than each other. Just like some people get poison ivory and others don't. When cutting any grass weeds or especially poison ivory or poison oak. I h ave learned as I just started going into my sixty's I cant use any leaf blo wers or weed whackers as much because the fumes are giving me a sore throat . I have some one in our family who if she even gets near poison ivory she will start to get chocked up and will get some rashes later.

Reply to
capitalcarcenterri

Work always makes me sick.

But the stuff I weed-wack isn't dry at all and there is no pulverizing.

I think so.

Hmmm. I hate leaf blowers anyhow. Let the leaves be leaves.

Reply to
micky
[snip]

A leaf blower is used to blow leaves into the street. This is littering, but normal people don't care.

Reply to
Sam E

I was wearing a dust mask cutting the grass last year. My problem unknown at the time was a cough actually caused by blood pressure med. I changed the med, cough went away and I don't need the mask. As you say, some are more susceptible, but I would use a mask in high dust conditions.

Reply to
Frank

I have 6 foot ditches on front and side of my property and let it grow up so Sunday, one week ago, I literally weed eated these ditches and the yard for approximately 4 hours. I went through poison ivy, poison oak and anything else that was in my path. I felt it hitting my face and neck so I was worried I may end up with a rash but instead I ended up with a breathing problem. It started the next day with a soreness in my throat as if my throat was having an alergic reaction to what I breathed in. Now it has become a pain in my throat and my chest when I breath in deeply. I function normally but today it feels a little more intense. Does this sound like what you went through? I will also wear a mask next time.

Reply to
JudysStopNShop