EMT tool-less connector???

Salvaged some old EMT for reuse with some tool-free connectors that turn out to be quite neat to use--they're similar in appearance to a pipe fitting solder connector with just a couple of dimples pressed into the barrel on each end. In use, you simply drive the conduit in and it's there; not compression nuts to tighten nor the ugly external screws in the screw-type.

Anyway, the question -- anybody seen these or know a source? I quick search didn't uncover them; I can't make out a manufacturer mark more than an uppercase 'M' and a patent-pending to try to identify...

I'm liking them a lot but there are only a bare few around from some old scraps...these may date from the '60s; I've no way to know...

Reply to
dpb

From Google.

Reply to
Idlehands

Interesting but seem to be only box termination, no connectors...quite a lot different in execution with the spring fingers than these...

It appears likely they didn't make it as a long-term product...

Reply to
dpb

Why are the screws ugly?

I think you are referring to the old 50's connectors, where you just dimple the fitting to attach it. I believe they had a special tool to dimple them. When I was doing electrical work, I ran into many that were in use, but never saw them in the stores. I think they were a phase which then vanished. They were a major pain in the ass to remove, so I think that was one reason they stopped using them.

Reply to
Paintedcow

Followup on the "who" ...

I came across some additional pieces-parts in the salvage--anybody able to identify a manufacturer from the initials MT? That's on some single-hole hangers which also use a similar dimple as the couplings so thinking is same. But still nothing more...

I did do some more searching and haven't found anything currently on the market similar to the couplings but they're surely handy and think they'd be cheap to produce as compared to either of the present alternatives. Wonder why they didn't catch on...

Reply to
dpb

Could it be "metallic tubing"?

Probably not reliable enough due to a friction fit.

Or perhaps the unions thought they were too easy for joe homeowner to use.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Of course it's metallic tubing! It's EMT.

Seem perfectly ok to me...after some 50+ yr these still have to be driven off of existing tubing and when installed there shouldn't be any significant longitudinal force on the conduit that has sufficient room to go anywhere...

I wondered about the "concrete tight" issue, but don't see they're any worse than the screw-type that are listed.

Who knows on that score...I've a cousin who's IBEW and not too much younger than I; maybe I'll ask him if he knows anything about 'em.

They make such a neat installation besides, though, given the minimal profile. They're "just cute" and while nothing earth-shaking or that can't do without, if could find 'em I'd stockpile a bunch...

Reply to
dpb

On 05/10/2016 12:41 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Shoulda' searched first...apparently M&W Electric (since 1933),

Their catalog doesn't show anything except the ubiquitous compression and set-screw type thinwall fittings, however; this puppy is no more. Their one-hole conduit clamps are now stamped and appear much lighter than these oldies, as well; disappointing.

Reply to
dpb

Raco still has them in their catalog:

You need the tool to make the dimple crimp that locks the coupling on to the connector:

John Grabowski

John G

On 05/10/2016 8:37 PM, John G wrote: ...

Ah, thanks...same product, different manufacturer; hadn't found them in anybody's catalog as didn't have the keyword "indenter"...

I found a couple listings on eBay that aren't bad deal for couplings and connectors; I should've realized the dimple/indention is field-installation.

I'll have to see but I _think_ I can adapt a one or t'other crimpers I've got to suit the purpose; if had to actually by both tools at full price would probably sour me for the gain otherwise.

Anyway, glad for the pointer/link, precisely what was looking for.

Reply to
dpb