Emergency Water Alarms For Basement ?

Hello:

Regarding those emergency water alarms one see at HD and elsewhere:

Seems like a good idea if the washing machine hose breaks in the basement, or the water heater starts leaking, I would think.

Do they work (well) ?

Any particular brand you folks would recommend ?

Any caveats in their usage, etc. ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I have one of the $10 battery operated units that I bought in HD in the water heater section. It just sits on the floor, with two contacts. If it gets wet, it goes off. One problem with all of these is which way the water goes. For example, if you have a small leak from say a water heater, the water could flow in a small stream in the opposite direction. I saw that with mine, when the TPR starting leaking a bit. When I found it, there was quite a pool of water, but it had gone right by the detector. Fortunately, I found it before it got to all the junk on the basement floor.

Reply to
trader4

-snip-

As long as the battery is good-

For a lot less than $10 you can build an alarm that will be louder, simpler, and more flexible than the commercial version.

Go to radio shack- pick an alarm [there are several choices of sounds- just get a loud one], some wire, and a 9v battery terminal.

Wire up the alarm so it is always on- snip one wire - strip ends. Glue ends onto a little piece of non-conductor [wood, cardboard. . .] about 1/8"apart. Lay on floor with contacts down. When wetness occurs it will compete the circuit & sound the alarm.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

i bought an elect type that will sense high water in the tub and shut the washer machine off

Reply to
bill