Electrical Conduit Depth?

I need to run an electrical circuit out of my house to my pool's filter. I plan on using a 1.5" Electrical PVC conduit for this run. I've read many conflicting posts on the depth of this conduit. Many say

18" but other claim I can go shallower...12" if it's 120V single circuit 15-20amps and GFCI at the house (which is what it is). The reason I'm asking is that I want to run this conduit along side a wall that has geogrid at about 14" below the surface. I cannot break this material since it's required for this retaining wall. What are my options?

Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

PS: I will be having a licensed electrician to do the job but want to know my options before I get to that stage.

Reply to
madesros

18" for PVC is correct with a dirt covering. You can go 12" if the 120 volt 20 amp circuit is GFCI protected, however I usually avoid that alternative. The GFCI would be protecting the entire line and will be more prone to nuisance tripping from moisture. As an alternative you can use galvanized rigid conduit and only need to go down 6".

Incidentally, 1.5" is a very big conduit for a 20 amp circuit. Why do you plan to use such a big pipe? Half inch or three quarter should suffice.

Reply to
John Grabowski