Electrica

Sorry. Fat fingers.

I will go back and read my Basic Electric book again, but is it a definite that if I get to a gang of switches, that I can run another circuit off of ANYTHING in there?

Or, in other words, is it possible that I try every combination of connecting white-white, white-black, black-white, white-black/white, black-black/white, and so on and so forth that I NEVER get a good connection to run my *new* switch from?

It's a gang box of 3 switches, one of which is a 3-way, the other "normal".

TIA

Reply to
ng_reader

Thanks for the reply.

And, I was hoping to NOT hear that.

I will re-check all the whites. They are bundled together, however I have a sinking feeling they are off the switch, not from the romex.

Aside from running a new piece of Romex from my circuit breaker box (which I can/will do), is there another way to get my power?

Probably not.

And yes, I did look and study the cables. It wasn't all that hard. I think I only had 4 cables going to those 3 switches. Plus now I have my exposed BK WE and ground sitting in there. So, to your point, I will not have too many nuts and connections within.

Thanks again, oh well.

Reply to
ng_reader

Alright thanks Doug.

I had my tester out, and was reading my Time+Life book.

Once called an electrician to help with my kitchen remodel DIY. I couldn't help but stare as HE tried to figure out the wiring that I could not.

He did, and I thanked him (plus he had some telephone cable that I needed!)

Reply to
ng_reader

"ng_reader" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Trying every combination would be a bad idea. You should study the situation and understand the purpose of each wire. If you're not willing to do this then call an electrician.

It is possible that you could never get a good connection to run your new switch. You need 3 wires to be able to branch off an existing circuit to a new location: hot, neutral and ground. You have hot and should have ground. The question would be the neutral. You need to look for a bundle of white wires in the box that has no connection to any of the switches. If you have that then you should be OK. If all the incoming wires connect to the switches then you can't extend from that box alone.

You also need to be careful about stuffing too many wires in a box. Look for "box fill" in your book or the internet to learn about that.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

"ng_reader" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

From another junction or switch box in the same circuit would be one way but...

If you have 4 separate pieces of romex coming in there and only 3 switches then one of those should supply the neutral and constant hot you need. It's hard to say for sure from here since there are a number of ways to wire these arrangements but I'd take a second look.

Doug

Reply to
Doug