Electric Water Heater Maintenance

Me thinks someone likes long hot powerful showers regardless of the cost. :-) Me, I used to. Then 4 women, 1 at a time showed up. Between them, the dishwasher and the washing machine, I just gave up. Turned down the water pressure, set the water heater at 120 and installed low flow shower heads. Still have to keep an eye on it. No one seems to understand why you cant take a shower, then start the dishwasher and washing machine at the same time while the next person hops in the shower. It was either deal with it my way or install a 100 gal water heater or an instantaneous heater. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

This is why I like my gas water heater - I can do all that stuff sequentially and it still comes out scalding hot. Only if I try to run two appliances simultaneously and/or do laundry or run the diswasher while taking a shower does the water temp. drop off. No electrics for me, thanks.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

most gas water heaters are a wimpy 30,000 BTU or even less.

my tank is 75,000 BTUs 50- gallons with shower head flow restrictor removed.

provides basically unlimited hot water

Reply to
hallerb

Personally, *any* water inlet will cut thru crud in a particular path. Straight down and there is a crater with the crud at the periphery, a bent tube you get a channel. I could be all wet but unless there's a spray at the top and even that will have some sort of regular pattern at the bottom.

Reply to
C & E

until I

recall

I replace the drain valves on install of a new water heater, The plastic ones may last the life of the water heater if you never use the valve but if you flush it regularly if will only last a few years, Its a heck of a lot eadier to replace it on a new heater while the tank is empty than after its full of water and the plastic is old and brittle. This also gives you a chance to install the valve at a handy place, mine is at about knee level. You are more likely to do that annual flush if its easy to do.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

until I

Knee level? So you piped the valve from the floor up to the height of your knees or you raised the entire water heater up that high? Otherwise, your "crud' isnt going to flush UP and OUT too easily. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

well as far as our particular household is concerned, the wash is during the day, the dishwash after supper, and the showers in the am. don't see the conflict at all. We do just fine on a 50 gal with 2 kids and now that it's just the two of us, a 40 does just fine. It IS however still set on about 150 degrees where it needs to be for proper dishwashing and conservation.

Steve Barker

75,000 in a water heater!?!!??? ya, oooooookay... LMAO!! s
Reply to
Steve Barker

OK, so I looked at HD... the 6 year tank was actually $388ish, but they didn't have any. 9 year was $488. don't recall what the 12 year was but it was more expensive yet, obviously... I think it was close to $600. Also 53" tall, which IIRC is pushing it for my install (entrance to chimney is kind of low. Don't remember the exact height, nor do I feel motivated to go check.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

For dishwashing, the difference between 72° and 150° is nil.

150° is not hot enough to kill bacteria and 72° will be heated to the proper temperature by the dishwasher anyway.
Reply to
HeyBub

I guess you havent read this: The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) urges all users to lower their water heaters to 120 degrees Fahrenheit. In addition to preventing accidents, this decrease in temperature will conserve energy and save money.

Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute exposure could result in third-degree burns.

By the way......dishwashers have their own heaters in them to bring the dishwashing water up to the proper temperatuer. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

not all dishwashers do that and even if they do only if you put them on the 'sanitize' setting.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Yep, it's more marketing than anything else... There won't ever be a spray at the top of the tank - that's where the hot water is drawn from and the whole reason for the dip tube. Better to just draw off the water from the flush valve every 6-12 months.

Reply to
Robert Neville

it does a wonderful job espically in the winter when incoming water is ice cold.

with 2 washing machines, dishwasher, shower etc its nice to always have enough water.

i tend to get a shower then take laundry to basement and in washer.

by the time i finish showering dry off and get dressed the water heaters burner is just turning off.

Reply to
hallerb

12 year was

de quoted text -

home depot can order the tank you want, if you have the time.

easy to do when you plan replacement

versus emergency tanks leaking on christmas eve with house guests coming

the improved efficency over your old tank might pay for itself within a few years

Reply to
hallerb

We use cold water wash for most things and it works very well with the new detergents. Whites still get hot though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

that all sounds great, but washing clothes rarely requires hot water. Only on some whites.

Steve Barker

Wrong again, junior. Most all have them now. Try to find any new one that doesnt. I set mine on regular wash. If the water isnt hot enough, the display shows "Hot" and goes into a hold cycle till it gets there. The sanatize cycle is completly different. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I keep hearing this, but the ones I see in stores only have a 50- something energy factor...

You're also discounting the small amount of joy that comes with being truly cheap and keeping something running well far past its "best before" date...

nate

Reply to
N8N

I use warm or hot, I repair machines for a living. oil etc on clothes.

cold water in winter here around 40 degrees, way too cold to do laundry the soap doesnt dissolve

Reply to
hallerb