electric water heater

I am planning to replace my 40-gallon water heater and I want 80 gallon tank. I am living in VA. Plase give me advice - which tank should I use. I don't want tankless - expensive and my family use water all day long. Should I use GE, Marathon or something alse. ED.

Reply to
Ed

Pick one that is the size, shape, and color you like.

Seriously. Here's a little secret about electric water heaters...

They all use pretty much the same electric heating elements. The only thing you have to choose is the wattage, usually you can choose 3800 watts, or 4800 watts, or 5200 watts. Some models have a multi-tap double element on the lower end which allows you to choose the wattage in the field.

Here's another secret - all direct resistive electric heating elements put out the exact same amount of heat proportional to the wattage and your voltage, and are all 100% efficient.

Because of these facts, and the fact that all electric water heaters manufactured since the 80's have to be super insulated - and therefore lose practically no heat (they're built like a thermos) it will not matter what size, style, wattage, amperage, gallonage, or brand water heater you choose - your electric bill will be exactly the same regardless.

So get the 80 gallon, since electric WHs are slower to recover than a gas model you'd be better off having 80 gallons ready to supply whatever demand you have in store for it.

I think your only real decision is how long a tank warranty you want to pay for.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
HaHaHa

I bought a tank from Home Depot last year. There is a difference in insulation as well as years of warranty. Generally, the more years of warranty, the more the cost. Another thing, the insulation might be less for larger tank....at least for the gas burning ones.

Reply to
Don Lee

Changing from 40 to 80 WILL involve changing the piping. 80's are bigger and taller.

Then you say no tankless, you already have decided that you want an 80 gallon unit so why bring this up? Tankless heat water on demand and would meet your requirements.

How do you know you need and 80? Not enough hot water? Have you checked the settings on the one you have? You might consider raising the temp on the both elements and see if that helps. Remember the incoming water temp is lower in the winter and takes longer to heat up.

Reply to
SQLit